Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Books: Some eclectic thoughts

If you are not into books I guess you can skip this post. But books have always been a big part of my life, so I guess I'll blog about them often.

That said, I saw a book meme on Sarabeth's blog and set out to look for the original. I found it but I also found some different ones and I've cobbled together answers to a mixture of book meme questions. This may be a post topic which will appear again, and then again. Sarabeth's meme was a list of 100 books and frankly I couldn't face all that typing. Maybe I can copy and paste it if I can find out how to do it. Frankly, the IT Help Desk at this establishment is not up to snuff.

Total number of books I own: Thousands, uncountable, in a total of 12 bookcases, each at least two layers deep, some even three layers, with books on all surfaces in piles. You see I never get rid of my books. Trying to organize this chaos, not physically but psychologically, I bought a program called Bookbag for my Palm PDA and have entered some data but frankly the task is extremely daunting, so I am only entering new acquisitions at the moment. I did this to try to avoid buying the same book twice, which has happened more often than I care to admit.

Last Book Read: The Year of Magical Thinking, by Joan Didion, about the year after her husband and daughter's deaths, within months of each other.

Five books that mean a lot to me: Well actually eight: the eight books of the House of Niccolo series by Dorothy Dunnett, beginning with Niccolo Rising. I've written a little about this before.

Book that had the most impact on me: African Genesis, by Robert Ardrey, written in 1961, read by me in the 70s. The subtitle is A Personal Investigation into the Animal Origins and Nature of Man. This book led me to others like it and I still consider this the most important book I have ever read.

Book that made me laugh: a memoir, Five Men who Broke my Heart, by Susan Shapiro, a New York writer, who followed with the equally hilarious Lighting Up -How I Stopped Smoking, Drinking and Everything Else I Loved in Life, except Sex.

Book that made me cry: Truth and Beauty, a book by Ann Patchett about her friendship with Lucy Grealey who wrote her own book called Autobiography of a Face. Two very worthwhile reads.

Books that I've been meaning to read: The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova and The Master, by Colm Toibin. Both books are highly recommended and I own both but they haven't got to the top of the TBR pile, as yet.

Do you buy books online or in the store: Both, even buy discarded books at the library! Just can't help it. However, I do buy most of my books online from Indigo or Amazon.ca. because they are much cheaper (so I can buy more) and there's free shipping on orders over $39 Ca.

Last
book bought: Family Tree, by Barbara Delinsky. An author whom I enjoy, although the books are not heavyweight at all.

6 comments:

Ian said...

I followed the link to Sarabeth's blog this morning and thought 'I could do a post about books' but you've beaten me to it. If I get time, I'll do one later.
I love reading, but don't find a lot of time to read books at the moment. In fact, I don't actually have a book on the go at the moment.
I'm only in the low to mid hundreds on the shelves.

On a technical aside, if you need to know how to copy and paste, highlight any text that you want to copy, by clicking and dragging your mouse over it, then press the CTRL key and letter C together, it will copy the text to the clipboard, you then click where you want to put the text and press CTRL key and letter V together, this will paste it.

Regards,
Ian

jmb said...

So Ian,
What I want to do, and hopefully it's explained in Blogging in a Snap, when I get to it, is copy something from someone's post and put it into my blog. Then be able to edit it. So with Sarabeth's meme, can I copy the list and then rebold it, etc to fit what books I have read? When I copy it will it come with it's html code?
I'm afraid I'm very ignorant of this stuff. You know all my friends are my age and older and they think I'm a techie, but of course I hardly know anything and rely on Blogger to have figured it all out for me. Which it probably has, I just have to find it.
Why don't you do Sarabeth's meme and post it? I had read 64 of the books on the list. Not too bad.
Regards
jmb
Regards
jmb

Sarabeth said...

jmb--I did a meme like this a bit ago-different, but similar. And, I've just said the same thing in the same sentence. Too many hours with the kids. A little punch drunk.

Here it is.

jmb said...

Hi Sarabeth,
I hopped over to read your meme answers with interest. I love to check out what everyone else is reading, makes for good ideas. I plan to buy Ex Utero's book and Sid Scwab's next time I go over the border to see my daughter. I get books sent from Amazon to her, because if I get them sent here the S&H is outrageous. They don't have them at Amazon.ca. Now I have to go check your taggees' answers.

Ian said...

Ok, so I did it. I've posted my list here Book Meme.
I was surprised how few I had read, I only managed 22.
Regards,
Ian

jmb said...

Ian,
I'm sure your low "read" count is due to the fact that it's a very North American list on the whole. I copied and pasted the meme and have it in Word and then I will post it to my blog later. You will see when I post my list that it's obvious I'm of a certain age since I was grown up when Tolkien published and I have managed to avoid Harry Potter as well, although I do know adults who have read and enjoyed the books.
Regards
jmb