Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Book Circulation Day Again

Today was Book Circulation Day again, so, from my nearby member of the group, I picked up the book, The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar. It's a book set in modern day India and narrates a story of two women, one the servant in the other's house for more than 20 years. The dust jacket notes that:
The novel shows how the lives of the rich and the poor are intrinsically connected yet vastly removed from each other, and vividly captures how the bonds of womanhood are pitted against the divisions of class and culture.

The reviewers at both Amazon.ca and Chapters.indigo.ca both give the book five stars, but we shall see.

My friend, who picks up from me, came to afternoon tea and to pick up The Communist's Daughter, by Dennis Bock. We sat by the fire in the living room and had tea and my healthy home baked muffins with jam. She asked did I like the book and I said I did. It's a ficitonalized account of the life of the Canadian doctor, Norman Bethune who was famous as a battlefield surgeon in both the Spanish Civil War and in China, where, ironically, he died of septicemia in 1939.


9 comments:

Lee said...

Hi jmb...I'll have to keep my eye out for those books. I've so many sitting on my bedside table at the moment waiting to be read, I don't know when I'm going to catch up! I hate borrowing books but friends of mine lent me one last week and I must finish reading it so I can return it quickly. I don't like keeping other people's books for any length of time.

jmb said...

Hi Lee,
Click on my link in the post to see what the Book Circulation Group is all about.
My to-be-read pile is ginormous too.
Regards
jmb

Liz said...

I just read your post link. BCG sounds a really good idea. I did belong to a book group but that seems to have faded, at least temporarily. I found that veyr good for making me read books I would never have considered otherwise, such as Life of Pi and The Kite Runner.

I enjoyed both of those and the Kite Runner is probably one of top ten books ever. Highly recommended.

jmb said...

Hi Liz,
Of course this is just my book circulation group, read my post on my short book club, only books 300 pages or fewer.
Never finished the Life of Pi, not my cup of tea.
But the Kite Runner is definitely one of the top ten ever. I have written a review of it and to my mind, it is a very important book. Everyone should read it.
Regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Liz,
Sorry the link didn't work for once, anyway it's in my older posts and we last read Sky Burial by Xinran, about a chinese woman in Tibet in the fifties.
Regards
jmb

Vic Grace said...

Hi delighted you popped over do keep in touch. What a good idea to share the books you like. We have a small local library here and so many authors I don't know. So often I find I select something and then find I don't care for some of the graphic details (and I am not a prude but what is the point of it). So I will be keeping an eye out for some of the titles you mention.

jmb said...

Hi Vic Grace,
Thanks for stopping by. You have to remember that the BCG books are not my choice and sometimes I have been known to skip or not finish. My choices are on my sidebar, if I remember to change it.
Regards
jmb

Cathy said...

jmb..I want to get both of those books. They both sound really good.

I wanted to tell you that "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom, is really good also. It is a story about the holocaust and how she tried so hard to save lives by hiding them. I bet you would like this book. Its been a while since I have read it, but it is one that you can read many times.

jmb said...

Hi Cathy,
So many books, so little time. I looked for the Hiding Place in the Vancouver Library system, they only had one copy and it was missing. I'll look at a few second hand stores to see if I can see it.
Regards
jmb