Friday, March 30, 2007

Just Desserts

Every year, the Faculty Women's Club caters an event called Just Desserts. It's a coffee and dessert evening, which the University hosts to recognize contributions made by some students during the academic year. The University pays the FWC $1500 to cater for about 100 and we donate the money to the Scholarship office to support the ten scholarships which we maintain.

So each year, about 20 of us make some kind of dessert . I have been involved for the past five or six years and, since I'm not a brilliant dessert maker, I prepare my usual standby, a ricotta cheesecake. I find a cheesecake made totally from cream cheese to be too heavy and I much prefer the lighter texture of ricotta, however I do add one block of cream cheese to give it a little firmness.

The brilliant thing about this recipe, which I have developed over the years, is that one can use any flavourings, make all kinds of additions, use any topping and, generally, I have found it to be a very satisfactory recipe. I have even made it with Splenda, but I've used sugar for this event.

So here is the Raspberry Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake which I have made for this evening's event and I'm off to deliver it now.
I'm giving you a little rest from the Italian posts, although, as we all know, ricotta is originally Italian. When I first used to make this recipe it was difficult to find ricotta cheese, but now it's in every supermarket.

10 comments:

Cathy said...

Does that ever look delicious! I bet it was a big hit. it would have been in my house. My family loves cheese cakes.

mhr said...

Well, your cake looks both stylish and delectable :)
(I confess unabashedly to having a sweet tooth)

Lee said...

I insist on a slice of that right now! :)

It looks absolutely delicious!

jmb said...

Hi Cathy,
I just dropped it off, didn't get to see it devoured. The people who actually do the serving say the students are like locusts.
I have a whole book on cheesecakes but always make the same recipe, using ideas for different flavours and toppings from the book.
Regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi mhr,
Welcome back. The combination of lemon and strawberry is quite tart which is why I like it a lot. Not too sweet, but delicious anyway.
Regards
jmb

jmb said...

Well Lee, have a virtual slice. I love this recipe, so easy, frizz everything in the cuisinart and bake. Even the topping is easy and takes only a few minutes.
Regards
jmb

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It looks wonderful, jmb and I agree that ricotta lightens a cheesecake. I, too, want some of that NOW! Any chance of your posting ther reipe? Love from Sicily.

jmb said...

Hi WCLC,
I certainly could post the recipe and will do so soon.
Regards
jmb

ipanema said...

Oh, I love dessert! Your cheesecakes sounds delicious. :)

jmb said...

Hi ipanema,
It is delicious! Even if I do so say myself. Not too sweet.
Regards
jmb