Sunday, March 18, 2007

My Ipod--iPod, Therefore I Am


When I first joined the gym, two years ago, I had a tiny radio which I used to entertain myself while working out. However, reception wasn't brilliant there, so I thought I'd check out this mp3 player business. I soon learned that Windows ME didn't work with iTunes so the iPod was out. I started off with a tiny Creative Muvo 512 MB, which I loaded up with an eclectic mix of my favourite music and was off to the races or rather the gym.

Finally, when I convinced A to buy a new desktop computer, I moved into Windows XP and an iPod became possible. The hard drive minis were being phased out due to the arrival of the flash memory iPods, so I quickly snapped up a 6GB silver mini, just like the one shown here. I could not believe how superb iTunes was and so easy to use. After a 512mb it seemed I would never fill the 6 Gig, but after a conversation with a young student in my Italian class I discovered podcasts. What a revelation. In no time flat, I had half filled my mini with podcasts, the other half with music and I had run out of space.

Those podcasts are insidious. Once you subscribe to a few they keep downloading new stuff every day into your computer and your iPod is full before you can turn around! So I had to get much more selective and unsubscribe from three quarters of the places which were streaming files daily into my computer. Finally I am down to a couple now.

Of course being the book person that I am, I had to get one or two from the library, eventually buying iPod and iTunes for Dummies. In the library catalogue I noticed one called iPod, therefore I am by Dylan Jones. Assuming it was a how-to book I placed it on hold. When it arrived I found it to be an entirely different kettle of fish

Dylan Jones, now the editor of British GQ magazine and a former music journalist, has a huge collection of albums, audio tapes, CDs. He became totally addicted to his iPod and in this book he alternates chapters of his own iPod experiences with chapters on the Apple story and the development of the iPod.

He made me realize what an important and revolutionary advance the invention of the iPod has been, changing completely the way we deal with music; the way we play it, own it, store it, buy it, download it. And all this has happened in a short time, since 2001, when the first iPods "rolled off the assembly line".

Look around you. People of all ages are hooked up to a music player. Everyone, wherever they are, can enjoy music or the spoken word, for let's not forget audio books or podcasts. Walking, jogging, on the bus or train, in their car, at the gym. But not only do they have iPods, they have all the accessories that you can imagine. The accessory industry built around the iPod is huge: holders, skins and cases, remotes, earphones, docks, chargers, speakers, clock radios, accessories for the car. You name it, someone has thought of it for the iPod.

I came late to the iPod party, but like Dylan Jones, I love mine. When you are my age, things do not excite you so much. But I am excited about my iPod. After my laptop, it's the toy I love best of all. If you have the computer capability and love music, do yourself a favour and buy one. I guarantee you won't regret it.



8 comments:

ipanema said...

Oh, you're more advance than I am, JMB. Since I have more paper work, I can't concentrate with an earphone. However, when I exercise it's very convinient. I borrow one of my children's iPod.

jmb said...

Hi ipanema,
I can't use mine if I'm reading or doing paperwork either. At first I didn't like earphones, it was like someone was in my head. But now I'm used to it.
Regards
jmb

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Jmb, what an informative and interesting post and just what I needed as I have been dithering about getting an ipod! You see, I miss my beloved BBC radio 4 here - I can get it on the net, but then I have to be where the computer is - and I like to have it as a background to whatever I am doing. They do podcasts so I've been thinking about it. Now you have encouraged me! I think I will get the books, too. Thank you!

jmb said...

Hi WCLC,
Trust me you'll love it. The podcasts available are incredible. BBC, CBC, ABC, NPR,( public radio in the USA) all have great podcasts. There's some great ones in Italian too, eg. Radio Feltrinelli. You can control the downloads if you want and only get individual episodes.
My advice is to get the one with the biggest memory you can afford. The nano's biggest one is 8 GB, but look at the even bigger ones, 20 or 30 GB at least to compare although they are larger. I don't have a colour screen but all the new ones do.
It is a new learning experience but not too difficult. I'm guessing they cost un occhio della testa in Italy.
Oh look, almost a post in the comment section.
Regards
jmb

Sarabeth said...

I don't have one. Phill doesn't have one. We have no time for one. When we exercise we either do it together and spend the time talking, or when I'm alone I choose to do yoga which is impossible to do with an Ipod.

When I drive, I am talking to my children or thinking about what I will write next on my novel. Any other time in my day I am either surrounded by children who make lots of noise, or I am in desperate need of silence.

I foretell that there will be no Ipods in our lives until our children get one.

jmb said...

Ah Sarabeth,
You're at a different stage in your life. Everything you say is true for you now and enjoy those little ones while they are young. Too soon they are grown up.

When your children are ready for iPods, or even you, there will probably be something else entirely unimaginable at the moment.
Regards
jmb

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks again, jmb. I will take your advice. I'll enquire into the prices here on a day when I feel strong!

jmb said...

Hi WCLC,
Let me know how you get on. The nanos are so tiny, they are wonderful. Don't forget you have to get a case to protect it and something to charge them with rather than just the USB cord to the computer. When I got mine I didn't get the charger right away and my computer hibernates after a certain time and I don't think I charged the battery up long enough the first time and it's underperformed ever since.
Regards
jmb