Saturday, March 17, 2007

A Precious Gift from a Friend

mhr knows how much I love Westies and she posted, on her photo website, this gift to me, along with her friend's poem, which is so apt. My Westie, Cleo, was the best dog we ever had. She delighted us every day for the fourteen and a half years we had her. We still miss her. I wanted to show mhr's lovely photo here, instead of only providing this link. She has another lovely Westie photo here. I hope mhr doesn't mind.




Rod Stewart

You torture me with distance.
Beyond my touch,
Except for your voice
And my petulant whine.
Do you want me
As much as I desire you?
Or do you play my heart
With mock intention
And amusement?
Tell me the truth, Precious
With your beautiful eyes,
Or tell me a lie
That will not break my soul
For the sake of my crazy love
Over you :*

6 comments:

rdl said...

I know how you feel. We refer to our dog(golden retriever),Sam, as the "best dog ever".

jmb said...

Hi rdl,
That's because they are, golden retrievers, that is. One of the highest rated for intelligence. We only go for small dogs, none at the moment, but Westies are the best small dogs, unfortunately not very intelligent and very, very stubborn.
Thanks for stopping by.
jmb

Liz said...

Harvey is a golden retriever too, and I'm sorry to tell you that he IS the best dog in the world!!

He is getting very old and we dread the day of his passing. I just hope he goes peacefully and that we don't have to make a decision.

Stubborn and not very intelligent: that sounds like Harvey.

jmb said...

Hi Liz,
Well Stanley Coren, in his book the Intelligence of Dogs, had the golden retriever right up near the top, I think 2 or 3 or 4. Border collies and poodles were very high too. Westies, number 45! Yep, right at the bottom.
I too hope old Harvey goes peacefully and naturally. Although when the decision had to be made for Cleo, it was the only solution and I held her in my arms while the vet did it.
Regards
jmb

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

What a beautiful photo. I, too, know how you feel. I had a "Sandy" dog, a labrador cross, who lived to be 18 and when he died I thought I would die too. My Simi, a yorkie cross, is 8 and I brought her to Sicily form Britain with me. she is my whole life.

jmb said...

Hi WCLC,
Isn't it a beautiful photo? Hhr is a good photographer. This dog is the spitting image of my Cleo and the expression is priceless. How come you're there and I'm here? Huh, huh?

So you went from big dog to small dog. Quite the change but yorkies are perky little dogs, full of personality.
Regards
jmb