Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Scribefire, the New to me Cool Tool

Viyay, from Scan Man's Notes, introduced me to Scribefire. Of course I cannot resist trying it out. It seems that before I can master one set of blogging tools I am off trying some other idea. Ah, the Butterfly Effect, well I have the mind that hops about like a butterfly from flower to flower, not actually having much effect at all.

I must say that it looks quite similar to the other two editors that I use: namely New Blogger and WordPress. But we shall see and please forgive me if I accidentally post a bad test and cannot figure out how to delete it or change it for some time. This happened the first time I posted something on Wet Coast Women, using WordPress. No instructions for the technically challenged so I just blundered about for half a day until I found the delete option, then reformated the post (delving into the html and let me tell you, it was scarey) and reposted it. Sometimes I still get funny spacing when I post in WordPress but if it's close enough I let it be. You can get away with quite a lot when you are "a little old lady" and I intend to take full advantage of it.

I know that you are not supposed to blog about blogging. According to #1 Dinosaur of Musings of a Dinosaur, there are three rules for blogging. He has them right on his sidebar, so they must be true. Now in some post he pontificated on these rules in a little more detail. OK, I found it here and I think the don't blog about blogging was in there somewhere. So:
  1. Write well.
  2. Say something.
  3. Mix it up.
But anyway, before I talk about the rules I want to talk about well, blogging, that is me and blogging. After being at it for about a month I can stand back and look critically at what I have done in this blog. It started out with me wanting to write something about myself, or my thoughts about things, in short pieces for my adult children. Some of the things I've written satisfy that criterion. But other do not. They seem to have been written for a wider audience. I sometimes seem to get caught up in what's going on in some blogs. Then I post something that is a blog thing rather than a me thing. Some of my posts have been experiments in the technology, like putting up a YouTube video, to learn how to do that. As this post is a trial in Scribefire. Even at my age, I still seem to be pushing the limits.

This is not likely to be a blog that has an audience and that's all right. I have to keep my eye on the reason I started it, although obviously I'm in two minds. I'd love to have a blog that is well written and interesting, that would entertain people, that people would want to visit. But that's not who I am. I have to recognize that this blog is for myself and it will continue as long as I can think of something to say, although that might not interest anyone very much, maybe not even my children. So pass on by. You have a great choice out there in the blogosphere. I have a T-shirt that says, So many Books, So little Time. I think that would work for blogs too, don't you think. So Many Blogs, So Little Time.

Now how do I stack up against the Dino rules:
  1. Write well---Dino's rule 1 is clarified to be about grammar, spelling and proofreading and I think I conform pretty well there. Maybe dull, but grammatically correct on the whole.
  2. Say something--Well I might think I have something to say, but you might not agree. I'd like to think some of the posts have been interesting to someone.
  3. Mix it up--I definitely have done that, my posts are all over the ship, but mostly things connected to me. But Dino would like one to vary the tone, he says: serious; funny; strident; indignant; whiney. That I haven't done. I think my tone is mostly detached with sometimes a light touch of humour. I think that's who I want to be on the blog. Yes, in person, I'm strident, indignant, whiney. But not here. Yet.
I am finding that this is taking much more time than I had anticipated so I probably will cut down on posting. I seem to have been posting every day and I do have a few posts in the draft stage but I do need to do a few practical things, like chores and get back to my hobbies. So if you are a regular reader perhaps you can put me on Bloglines. I don't want to post little nothings just to post. I know that I should try to write every day for the practice, and maybe some of it will just never appear here. But hopefully I will continue to have fun with this blog. Surely that's the main reason for doing it.

Update: When I posted this in Scribefire it was a disaster. So luckily I did copy this to Blogger which I have now used to post this. I will post a separate criticism of Scribefire which everyone uninterested can skip. Note the change in font size and spacing. How frustrating!

4 comments:

ipanema said...

I'd love to have a blog that is well written and interesting, that would entertain people, that people would want to visit. But that's not who I am. I have to recognize that this blog is for myself and it will continue as long as I can think of something to say, although that might not interest anyone very much, maybe not even my children. So pass on by.

Oh jmb, very well said. I have the same principle in blogging. I don't care if one will like it or not, for as long as I'm happy with my post, then that's it.

I've always mentioned that I'm one who's not about to sacrifice my content because if I'll do something for others then I won't be happy with my post.

Cheers!

jmb said...

Hi ipanema,
Thank you. I'm sure most of us think like this but it's easy to get sucked into trying to be something else.

I think you succeed with your blog. You find interesting things to comment on and the things you choose illustrate who you are. I enjoy it anyway.
Regards
jmb

Lee said...

I've been a bit slack with my comments these past few days, jmb...sorry...it's just been time...I have no other excuse to offer!

I didn't know there were any rules to follow in blogging...I'm sure I've broken them all!

I write what I feel like writing and if others enjoy my posts, that is good. I know I enjoy your blog, so keep blogging. :)

jmb said...

Hi Lee,
I don't know how you get time to write all this stuff and live a life. I'm glad I found an Australian blog I like, although it's a long time since I've lived there.
Regards
jmb