Monday, April 2, 2007

Book Circulation Day

Yes, it's that time again. Book exchange day in this group.
So today I pass on The Space between us, by Thrity Umrigar, which I found well written but ultimately rather depressing, although I enjoyed learning more about India.

This morning I picked up My Heart is Africa--A Flying Adventure, by Scott Griffin. This looks to be a really interesting book, non-fiction, about a very successful Canadian businessman, owner of a single engine Cessna, who goes to spend two years in Africa, working for the Flying Doctors Service. He flies the plane there and back which is incredible enough in itself, given the size of the plane. But his adventures in Africa and the story of these amazing medical personnel should make a very interesting read and I'm looking forward to it.

I can't resist a plug for the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia, which established this type of service in 1928 and no doubt was a model for the African service which was established in 1957. Both operate 365 days a year and 24 hours a day.

9 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sounds an interesting book indeed, jmb. Personally I can't bear to part with any book - I get withdrawal symptoms and my hands won't let me do it!

Dr Michelle Tempest said...

I liked your plug for the flying doctors. Great stuff! Michelle

Lee said...

Yep...the Royal Flying Doctor Service here in Australia is a wonderful service. The outback would be lost without it.

That sounds like it would be a very interesting read, jmb. :)

I'm like Welsh, in that I can't part with my books, either. They are a part of who I am.

jmb said...

Hi WCLC,
This is part of the Book Circulation Group so I don't own the book. We circulate 18 books throughout the year and get to keep one at the end.
Of the books I own, I'm afraid I never get rid of them. I actually have thousands, in 12 bookcases, stacked three deep as well as on every surface in the house. I use the library too!
Instead of a Westie I did consider a book avatar to represent myself.
Regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Michelle,
Flying doctor service is incredible, even though a city girl, I knew of it and was proud of it.
Regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Lee,
See the reply above to WCLC about the Book Circulation Group. I wrote a post about it early in my blog.

I consider books to be part of who I am too. I am so fortunate that I am married to a reader and raised two readers as well.
Regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi All,
I see that I made a link to the earlier post about Book Circulation Group in this post. Click if you are interested.
jmb

ipanema said...

We have the flying doctors service as well. It operates reaches out to people in far flung places. I think this is great service.

jmb said...

Hi Ipanema,
I'm glad you have the Flying Doctor service too. It's expensive I know but gives people in inaccessible places an assurance that they can be taken care of in an emergency.
Regards
jmb