Thursday, April 26, 2007

Technical Difficulties Update

I just want to say thank you so much to all the people who replied to my cry for help with the latest "technical difficulties". I have cut and pasted all the applicable comments and emails into the Word file on this topic and I actually understand quite a bit of it and will explore all the suggestions later. I have managed to unlock the image uploading option to blogger. (Well maybe it just happened coincidentally, who can tell?) I want to thank Sarabeth especially since she gave me very clear and concise instructions for resizing in Paint and also for good suggestions for overcoming the uploading problems.

I have to tell you, quite ashamedly, that the reason I could not see how to resize in the photo software programs, which I already have on my computer, was that I did not have a file in place. As everyone but me already knows the relevant options are grey until you have an image to work on! I assumed it was because I had an inferior version which came with some hardware or other I had bought.

Well as I always say, these things are sent to make us humble when we get too big for our boots. Another of my sayings is that I hope to learn something new every day and yesterday I learned quite a few new things. Once I was working with a young pharmacist who knew my theory that a good day at work was when you learned at least one new thing. It was ten o'clock in the morning and we had just discovered something new to both of us. She said, "Can we go home now?" Good try!

18 comments:

james higham said...

JMB, we've all done something like the image loading trick. Hang in there.

jmb said...

Thanks James, I'm a very determined lady and I'm not above asking for help. But if there's a mistake to be made, I usually find it.
jmb

Ian said...

Hi jmb,
Glad to see you are back posting with pictures and your image issues are now resolved.
Regards, Ian

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, jmb. I didn't know that, either! Glad you have solved it and like the pharmacy story. Love from Sicily.

ipanema said...

Up to now, I still have to ask somebody on more technical things. After learning a thing or two I feel happy. :)

Glad it's resolved.

jmb said...

Hi Ian,
I managed to stumble around with Sarabeth's instructions and I hope solved the problem. I think the two things were coincidental. They were giving me the usage warning which maybe caused the lockout, who knows. I'm very wary again, waiting for the next disaster.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi WCLC,
I'm hoping it's solved but who knows. chissa'? I didn't even know why it went wrong.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi ipanema,

I hope you have someone nearby to help you with the techie things when necessary. I don't personally know another person with a blog. I had trouble adding something to my sidebar and I went browsing around till I found someone who had done what I wanted to do and emailed them. They said, I don't know what I'm doing but I did this, so I followed the instructions and succeeded.
I have to rely on people out in the blogosphere and they came through for me.
regards
jmb

Lee said...

Well, I guess I'm not included in your thanks, jmb as I was totally useless when it came to helping you! ;)

Never mind...I admit my failures...I am hopeless at technical problems...I just hope all the problems will work themselves out in the end....without my assistance! :)

Janice Thomson said...

I am CAREFULLY reading all this as I am getting close to my limit and need to consider other avenues so I appreciate everyone's comments about how to fix.

Sarabeth said...

I'm glad my bit of information helped.

It is so easy these days with digital cameras getting better and better resolution to fill up even the large amount of space given in the Picasa web albums.

I used to post my pictures the size that they were instead of resizing them for uploading. I then got tired of waiting (even on my very fast connection) for the photos to load. Now I resize the photos every time I'm going to post one.

I also don't post a photo with every entry unless it is mine or really necessary to illustrate the point of the post.

jmb said...

Lee,
You maybe didn't help literally with advice for fixing things but you came by and commented and gave best wishes and moral support. So I thank you for that and for coming by regularly to read and comment.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Janice,
If you follow my link to Welshcakes site and read the comments on that post there is more advice. I cut and pasted everything relevant from there and here into a file so I could have it as a reference.
I suppose your videos take up a lot of space.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Sarabeth,
Your advice was great on all counts and I do appreciate it. I will certainly check every image before I upload it and make sure I reduce my own photos. The recent ones are not from my digital camera but scanned from old prints. Still I reduced the last two before putting them up.

I do put up an image of some kind with every post as my site is quite bare, which I don't mind, but I do think a little image with each post give it a bit of interest.
It also helps remember which post is which quickly.
regards
jmb

Hootin'Anni said...

Hi!

I just wanted you to know that the blog for Helge in Norway has been added to the blogroll.

I've been pretty laid back the last few days with heart problems and E R, so I hope it's not been too long a wait. :o)

jmb said...

Thanks hootin'anni, I just asked yesterday so there was no wait at all.
Sorry to hear of your health problems, I hope you will be well soon.
regards
jmb

Donnetta Lee said...

jmb: I think you're doing great with your artwork. I haven't figured it out myself! So, been stumbumbling along. Like the little engine...
Donnetta

jmb said...

Hi Donnetta Lee,
Thanks, but I'm really just stumbling around in the dark myself. I think you are doing fine too.
jmb