Thursday, May 24, 2007

Photos from my Cruise -- Skagway

Should you need to refresh your mind about Skagway you can check here. Just remember Gold! The town that grew from 5 to 10,000 in the blink of an eye.

This is the original cabin of Skagway's first homesteader, Captain Moore, built in 1887. He claimed the whole area but the town settlers built all over his claim irregardless.

Here you see Skagway's first Bordello, built in 1897. A saloon operated on the ground floor while the ladies plied their trade above. Currently a National Historic Building, it serves local beer and food on the main floor, with a museum above. Note the wooden walkways.

We have to remember the miners who struggled up the Chilkoot Trail or over the White Pass to get to the gold fields. The diesel engine of the modern White Pass tourist train is at the rear.

Skagway, gateway to everywhere practically: Whitehorse and Carcross in the Yukon Territory; Atlin in BC; Nome Alaska, now finish of the Iditarod Sled Dog Race; Fairbanks Alaska; this way for the Chilkoot Pass; or that way for Whitepass.

One of the Rotary Snowplows which ran on the White Pass and Yukon Railway narrow gauge track to clear snow for the trains.
This photo was taken across the back deck of the ship to show the beauty surrounding Skagway. It was quite grey and overcast where I stood but the beautiful snow-covered mountain, way off in the distance was bathed in sunshine with blue sky above.

It was bitterly cold in Skagway, the wind just whipped up this gap between the mountains.

Drop by again for photos from Ketchikan.

21 comments:

ipanema said...

thanks for sharing photos of your cruise. it looks so calm.

Political Umpire said...

Hello JMB, thanks for taking the trouble to stop by my modest blog the other day. In response I expressed sympathy for missing out on the cricket; looking at these pictures I think you’re doing ok. Still, there’s nothing to compare to a day at Lords, is there?

Sienna said...

This is an amazing tour, a chilly one but, I would definitely scarf and mitten up in Skagway :)

What most beautiful, (and some rugged), terrain....it almost reminded me a little of the Rhine...but only fleeting..

It would be grand to have a beer in Skagway...thanks for such amazing pictures, JMB, you have gone to places I have never even heard off.

Pam

lady macleod said...

Lovely as always. I really enjoy the informative captions. This is taking me back to my year in Alaska. It is spectacular.

Ellee said...

No wonder the deck is empty! Thanks for another lovely story.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Lovely pics as always, jmb, and an informative post. I just love the bordello!

Janice Thomson said...

More awesome pics!...love this tour with you Jmb and all the info you give as well.

Ian Lidster said...

I've always wanted to take the White Pass and Yukon since I am a sucker for railways to begin with. That's why I still love to ride the E&N over here on the Island.

jmb said...

Hi ipanema

I am glad you are enjoying the photos. It is a very quiet land, just so impressive.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Political umpire,
I enjoyed your post about your day at Lord's which I never visited although I lived in London for two years.
Thanks for popping by to visit.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Sienna (well Pam really, a real Australian name which you never hear in this part of the world, like Jan,only one I know is from NZ)

I'm glad you are enjoying my photos as I enjoy yours. Not really like the Rhine, more like the Alps.
regards
jmb

Lee said...

I love these posts and I love the pictures, too...they are all so interesting.

jmb said...

Hi Lady Macleod,
You were very fortunate to spend a year in Alaska. Where was it?
I just visited the Panhandle this time but I have been to Denali and other places near there.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Well we were berthed here and hopefully they were having a good time in town, maybe at the Red Onion.
But it was bitter in the wind.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Welshcakes,

Thanks, I'm glad you like the photos. The bordello was such a neat building. Apparently it's really jumping in the evening in the season, well the restaurant part with lots of entertainment.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Janice,

I hope you get to go one day and enjoy the real thing but I am glad you are going vicariously with me.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Well this time Ian, we didn't go, but we went last time and it certainly was impressive. Beautiful scenery and you got to see how hard it must have been for the miners to travel over the pass.

I love trains too, it's part of my growing up since we travelled everywhere by train.

I've never taken the E&N so I should go next time I'm over on the island.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Lee,
I'm glad you find the photos interesting. I didn't have a great lot to choose from since I messed up so many.
regards
jmb

james higham said...

JMB, how far is it to Fairbanks from there?

jmb said...

Well James, you have to go by road to Whitehorse in the Yukon, Canada which is 108 miles, then by road to Fairbanks which is 602 miles, for a total of tra la, 710 miles.
You made me look that all up, you devil. I should have known someone would ask me that when I posted the sign photo. Sigh.
regards
jmb

Political Umpire said...

Hi JMB

Shame you never made it to Lords. Australia has not lost there since the 1930s, so there must be something about the place that appeals to them ....