Monday, May 21, 2007

Photos from my Cruise --- Vancouver

As I said before, since the weather was less than stellar on this Alaska trip, don't expect too much. Also the photographer is not up to snuff, only noticing afterwards, on more than one occasion, that her camera was on the wrong setting! She loves the toys you know, but, doesn't always master them as quickly as she should.

I talked about sitting on the deck of the Zaandam and looking at the beauties of Vancouver in this post so I show you here a few photos I took that day of my beautiful city. As you all know by now, I come from Sydney, which has one of the most beautiful and exciting harbours in the world. But I have to say that, although Vancouver is not as interesting as Sydney, harbourwise, it is very beautiful, for the snow covered mountains rise almost directly out of the water.

Looking towards the North Shore, where you can see the twin snow-capped peaks known as the Lions. The group of evergreens on the left is Stanley Park a 1000 acre natural park, close to downtown, surrounded by water and beloved by Vancouverites. That's our famous sulphur pile on the right hand side. A brilliant yellow, always there waiting to be shipped, but it never seems to get any smaller.

A small float plane on the water, with Stanley Park at the left, the Lions' Gate Bridge
across the top of the trees and the only in-the-water gas station around here where you can pull up your boat and fill 'er up.

Looking towards the other North Shore Mountains with a small float plane taking off and also, on the water at the right, you can see the North Shore Ferry which takes foot passengers from downtown to the North Shore.

12 comments:

Eurodog said...

Why is it that I always feel like travelling when I read your posts?

Janice Thomson said...

I must admit as much as I love the Island, Vancouver too, has such a beautiful backdrop to its hustle and bustle. Postcard perfect photos Jmb!

jmb said...

Hi Eurodog,
It makes you nostalgic for BC again? How did you choose to visit here in the first place?

jmb said...

Hi Janice,

Both places are wonderful, well except that it's too cold for May this year! Didn't you love Josie's post about Vancouver Island?
I enjoyed watching the floatplanes come and go and it was such a perfect day.

lady macleod said...

lovely, that last shot is amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Voyager said...

We do live in a magnificent setting. Let's not take it for granted.
V.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, jmb. It is beautiful, indeed. I never realised that until now. Btw, I didn't know cameras had settings!!

jmb said...

Hi Lady Macleod,
Thank you for visiting my beautiful city.

jmb said...

Hi voyager,
I live on the Fraser river side and don't see this view near enough, except when we come down to Spanish Banks to walk sometimes.
We need to take time to realize what a special setting this place is.

jmb said...

Hi WCLC,
It is beautiful here but too often we are running between the raindrops and we forget that such beautiful days exist.
I have had my camera for almost a year and still haven't read all the thick manual. I know it has lots of different settings but don't yet know what they all are.
regards
jmb

ipanema said...

beautiful!

jmb said...

Beautiful indeed ipanema. No more to be said.
regards
jmb