Thursday, June 14, 2007

Eight Random Things about Me

I've been tagged by Ian over at Failure is the Key to Success. I don't usually do memes unless they appeal to me and so I suppose this one did. It's hard to imagine that I haven't already told you everything about myself that I am willing to share with the world at large. Maybe I might be repeating something that I have already posted about, so please forgive me if you've heard any of these before.

Of course there are rules which I will post here then proceed to ignore later.


1. Players start with 8 random facts about themselves.

2. Those who are tagged should post these rules and their 8 random facts.

3. Players should tag 8 other people and notify them they have been tagged.


Now for the random facts about me, jmb, nobody important as you can see.

1. I always wanted to be an expert on something. You know, the one they telephone from the newspaper or radio, asking you to give your expert opinion about this or that. Can I quote you on that? Of course! Only too happy to be of assistance, I would say confidantally.

2. I came to live in Canada for 2 years with my husband, intending to return to Australia after that. 46 years later we are still here. In fact I've lived here almost twice as long as I lived in Australia, but I'll always be Australian, only now I'm a proud Canadian too.

3. I'm a dog person and I've had four dogs in my lifetime: a Heinz 57 black mutt, a golden cocker spaniel, a miniature schnauzer and a west highland white terrier, all of whom lived to be 14 or 15 years old. Sadly, I don't have a dog since my last one died, since I'm not sure I have another 15 years left myself.

4. I can swim but I can't put my face under the water, because I was knocked out momentarily in the surf when I was a child and came to under water. But I love being out on the water in a boat, small or large and I have to live near the sea.

5. I'm a pack rat, for I hardly ever throw anything out, but just move things from here to there. Luckily I have a big house. This also explains my 75 pairs of shoes, some more than 20 years old.

6. I buy more books than I can keep up with and my to-be-read-pile grows higher and higher and wider and wider. I also keep 99% of my books so I am drowning in books as well as stuff. However I don't read Science Fiction or Fantasy.

7. I am teetotal, but no one else in my family is and I serve wine and liquor to everyone else. I am always the designated driver. No I'm not an alcoholic. I always worry that people will think that when I say I don't drink alcohol.

8. I always wanted to learn the violin when I was a child but there was no money for a violin or lessons. It is still my favourite musical instrument, while my all time favourite musical piece is Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto. I imagine myself, dressed in a long red satin evening gown, performing in the concert hall, with the orchestra, this wonderful piece for your enjoyment. Well I can dream, can't I?

Gosh I'm boring! I thought I would have trouble with this meme but when I got going I even had a few spares.

I won't officially tag anyone else but if you are reading this post and want to take up the challenge, knock yourself out.


The interesting art piece, The Violinist, is by Richard Wolf and found in the East Connecticut University Library.

28 comments:

RUTH said...

I've just done this tag myself..via a different blogger. Thank you for sharing your random things...I always wanted to be able to play the piano...my younger sister was allowed lessons but I wasn't as I had exams to study for. I'm convinced I would have been world famous given the chance!...lol

Ian said...

Thanks for digging deep and finding some new facts.
My son has been learning violin for about 6 months; I took him to his lesson tonight and he's doing really well. He can't stand still though and is contantly wandering about, like a miniature Nigel Kennedy.
You're never too late to learn an instrument!
Regards,
Ian

lady macleod said...

goody, goody..see Lady Mac rubbing her hands together like one of those creepy witches in Macbeth. That was great. Honey I LOVE you in red satin! I am with Ian on this, never too late..I have to learn a new language, I think you should learn the violin as it is my favorite instrument as well.

Lee said...

There is absolutely nothing boring about you, jmb. This I can promise you...if you were boring I wouldn't be visiting your blog! I can't stand boring people...and you definitely are not one! :)

jmb said...

Hi Ruth,
I checked your answers out too. It's an interesting meme, that's for sure. So the piano? I'm sure you would have been great.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Ian,
Good for you, giving the young fellow a chance be the next Joshua Bell or Itzhak Perlman.
I'm afraid it's a bit too late to master the violin for this little old lady, although the grey hair would go with the red dress in my fantasy.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Lady Mac,
I think I'll join you on the new language acquisition trail rather than on the violin lessons trail. What are we learning?
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Lee,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm trying not to bore anyone but compared to some of the other blogs, I can seem a bit dull.
regards
jmb

Josie said...

JMB, you're definitely not boring....! You know, I always wanted to be a concert pianist, and play in Carnegie Hall, wonderful piano concertos. I always wanted to play the piano solo in George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue".

Say, you and I could play a concerto for piano and violin together. You could wear your long red satin evening gown, which is perfect for the solo violinist, and I will wear something in black.

Janice Thomson said...

Well I did not know any of this about you so it was a wonderful post to read...and I'm in total agreement with the violin one both in it being a favorite instrument and in your choice of music.

jmb said...

Excellent Josie, we'll be a sensation. You don't want to wear a red dress too? I like the sound of Carnegie Hall. We could tour, the Albert Hall, the Kennedy Centre. Hit all the great venues, even the Orpheum.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Janice,
It's fun to let out a little bit of information at a time. I hadn't thought about wanting to play the violin in a very long time.
regards
jmb

Voyager said...

Thank you for lettting us know more about you. And it's never too late to learn to play the violin.
V.

leslie said...

I just read your post about your trip to Assisi. I was in Italy last fall, but didn't get there. However, I did go to Orvieto and found it amazing! I think I actually liked the Umbria district just as much as Tuscany. I can hardly wait to return one day and then I'll definitely go to Assisi. Josie wants to come, too.

Tai said...

I'm with you on the book pile!

ipanema said...

those are nice new things i learn about you. I love the violin too but my mind was somewhere else when i was young. :(

Annie Wicking and Loman Austen said...

That's was wonderful. Thank you for sharing them with us.
We all must keep on dreaming at whatever age we are...
Playing the violin, what a wonderful thought.

Best wishes
Annie

Heart of Rachel said...

Interesting things! I'm also a dog lover. I had several dogs and three of them have passed away because of old age. I currently have a black labrador named Bruno.

I'll be back for your photo hunt later. Take care!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Dearest jmb, you are anything but boring! Your very introduction gave me the giggles, before I even got to the 8 things! You keep 99% of books? - You're doing better than me - I can't throw away / pass on one! I, too, always wanted to play the piano. There's something else I wanted to say - back in a mo..

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I remember now! How often do you go back to Oz, if at all? And I think you should have faith and get another dog. Simi agrees with me!

jmb said...

Hi voyager,
I'm afraid taking up the violin now would certainly not get me to Carnegie Hall in this lifetime. At my age you can't stand to listen to screeching on such a beautiful instrument. In my next reincarnation I'll start earlier.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Leslie,
I love Orvieto too, a beautiful cathedral. I've spent more time in Tuscany on other trips but this time we spent a lot of time in Umbria.
I hope you and Josie get there again and I especially hope I do too.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi ipanema,
Well actually I love just listening. I guess I just longed to be able to produce something so beautiful.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi annie,
At least it's a good dream. I enjoy having it.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Rachel,
I haven't posted yet, you're a little early.
Labradors are wonderful dogs, aren't they? They are extremely popular in Canada, actually everywhere.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Welshcakes,
Well I only get rid of a few that I know I will never read again or that I hated.
I would love to have another dog. A says no but I think I could persuade him. Every now and again I look in the dog columns in the paper, looking for maybe a five year old. I certainly never want to do puppyhood again.
regards
jmb

MedStudentWife said...

lovely blog :)

I've read some of the tags & everyone says they are "so boring".

But you know, no one is.

jmb said...

Hi medstudentwife,
You're right, we all think we are boring but everyone else thinks we are interesting. Well I hope so anyway. You know the "grass is always greener" story.
Thanks for stopping by, however you got here.