Sunday, August 5, 2007

Google Earth Challenge ---Where do you Work, Live and Play


I saw this over at Vijay's site. It's a challenge issued by meeyauw, to show where you work, live and play, using Google Earth and Skitch, some fabulous program designed for the owners of Macs.

This let's me out, but there's more than one way to skin a cat as they say, so I just used Google Earth and none of the ways that Vijay suggested, since frankly I haven't got a clue even though I do have some of the programs he suggested. You'll definitely have to click to get a decent view.


I present a satellite view of Vancouver and its environs, which you can see is on the border of Canada and the United States of America. Although surrounded by water, with Vancouver harbour and the Fraser River enclosing it, Vancouver sits protected from the Pacific Ocean by Vancouver Island, which is itself 286 miles long by 50 miles wide. Yes look at all those green forests and snow capped mountains nearby. You can go skiing half hour from the city, although Whistler, site of the 2010 Winter Olympics, along with Vancouver, is two hours north. What you've always imagined Canada to look like is the reality here in British Columbia. Huge evergreen trees and snow covered mountains.

You can get to Seattle in three hours and many do to go there for the opera or perhaps to a major league baseball game. When the old scientist still played cricket we would drive down and back for the day to play the Seattle team, which competed in the Vancouver league.


Now you see where JMB lives, by the mighty Fraser River. This peninsula is called Point Grey completely surrounded by the harbour and the river. The University of British Columbia is right at the end of it, enclosed by the trees of the Pacific Spirit Park. The hospital where I worked for the last 18 years of my career is there on the campus, just four miles away and I could be there in 10 minutes from door to door.

Tucked against the lower part of Point Grey, just west of where I am, you can just make out a huge area of log booms in the water which stretches to almost the end of the point.

So more information than you really wanted to know, but I think it is really neat, even if no one else does. Now I'm off to tell meeyauw that I've entered the challenge, at the low tech end.

Update: For some reason the images disappeared overnight. I have uploaded them again. The mysteries of blogging. I have my fingers and toes and eyes crossed, hopefully.

25 comments:

meeyauw said...

You live in an area that, while I knew it to be beautiful, is more spectacular than I realized. To the north are the huge mountains. The ocean is so interesting because of the silt that washes in from the river. The river itself is so busy and active. There are so many details there. I thought Vancouver would be much much bigger than it appears to be. It is encouraging that there are still forests and open areas.

Thank you for this post! I will be linking to it tonight!

moof said...

JMB ... very nice! Thanks for all of the work you put into that.

Vijay gave me a heads up about his post and your own ... so I had to come take a peek! :o)

I've never been that far west in Canada ... but you've made me realize with your lovely pictures that it would be a wonderful place to visit. Have you ever thought of doing a photo blog with all of your lovely pictures?

I'm moving up to our camp today, and will be inaccessible for a day or two as we move, and until the internet connection gets turned on up there. I hope to do more blogrunning and posting while I'm there.

Janice Thomson said...

I love playing with Google Earth and seeing places that one can only dream of visiting - well this one anyways.
We truly live in a beautiful part of the world n'est-ce pas?

Matt M said...

Now you see where JMB lives,

Ummm, while this sounds like a fun idea... is it really wise? If you - for whatever reason - manage to annoy some web-psycho, you've basically told them how to find you!

Canada does sound really nice though, I'm determined to make it over to North America someday.

Gledwood said...

Hi HOW ARE YOU??
I was trying for ages to get through to your page yesterday ... no success ... maybe I got the url wrong ..??
There is no point my doing goggle earth it is just a maze of streets here!

hope all's well with you..!

all the best

from

gleds

Steve G said...

I looked up our hotel on Gran Canary, with Google. It was interesing.

Gledwood said...

ta-daaargh! gottit right this time

trust me to get something as simple as your address wrong!!

sorry about that

no wonder it "took me ages" to try and get through..!

i even asked ruth if you'd changed your address as the result i got implied you'd somehow moved home ...

ho-hum!!

lady macleod said...

So cool! sigh. I can't play, as Google Earth is blocked down here. Don't ask me why. I have no idea, some security fear, duh.

I can't wait to see your part of the world. I have been to Seattle. It is gorgeous, and I climbed their mountain and hiked Olympic Peninsula- brilliant.

great post, as usual.

jmb said...

Hi Meeyauw,
Vancouver is large, more than a million people live here in the Lower Mainland as it is called which is the area at the delta of the Fraser River. A very lovely part of the world.

Thanks for issuing the challenge, although it did keep me up until 2am.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Moof,
It was a fun thing to do for me and since geographically this is a very interesting area it looks good here too.
Come to Vancouver some day.
Have a great summer at camp.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Janice,
I've only played with a few times and didn't really see the potential before. One of the links over at meeyauw's has photos from Google which I will have to explore.
We do indeed live in a beautiful part of the world, to my mind one of the most beautiful.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Gosh Matt, I never thought of that. I'd better be on my best behaviour. although I think that doesn't really matter to the pyschos when they decide to go for you.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Gleds, good to hear from you. It's been a while. I see you've corrected my link now.
Take care
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Steve,
I'm sure this is another way for me to waste time, something I already do too much. Still that's what being retired is all about. We earned it.

However I should explore Google Earth more because it is interesting.
regards
jmb

jmb said...

Hi Lady Mac,
Too bad. I would like to see where you live and play and work.
Seattle is so close and similar in many ways, although the mountains are not quite so close as they are here, with exceptions.
Not long and you will be able to see for yourself.
regards
jmb

meeyauw said...

Hi again, JMB! It is up! Go take a look; the links are all set. I love seeing the positive comments you got. I used to be wary of too much knowledge about me being out there. But the way I see it, there are millions of people to stalk. I am too poor and uninteresting! There are so many risks and I think this risk is very, very low.

I am so impressed with Vancouver; thank you so much for staying up till 2 AM! I think it was worth it!

jmb said...

Thanks for doing this meeyauw. I think this was such a great idea and I am very interested to see the others.
regards
jmb

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Nothing happens when I click for the pictures but I enjoyed the informative post anyway. Will have another go later.

jmb said...

Hi WCLC,
I don't know how it happened but the images just disappeared overnight. I've loaded them again, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
regards
jmb

Lee said...

I had a young man, Jamie, work for me for a while on Hinchinbrook Island, jmb...and he came from...well, pretty close to your area...he was from Bellingham, Washington state...he was a lovely young fellow.

jmb said...

Hi again Meeyauw,
Thanks again for organizing this great idea. I hope my images will not disappear again.
I hope the stalkers are looking for younger chicks.

Sorry WCLC, I don't know what happened with the pics, they are up again but who knows for how long.

Hi Lee,
I guess that young man was doing his world tour too, just like me, except I never returned.
Bellingham is very close to us, since it's north of Seattle, so about 1 1/2 hrs from here, over the border of course.

Regards to you all, thanks for visiting and commenting.
jmb

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, jmb. I can see them now. What a fascinating exercise being able to pinpoint your home like that!

alisonwonderland said...

well done on the Google Earth Challenge! i've visited Seattle (and lived there briefly as a child) but i haven't gotten up to Vancouver. it's definitely a beautiful part of the world!

thanks for coming by my post. i'm hoping to do some more playing around with Google Earth and post some more things.

ipanema said...

I once uploaded Google Earth. It's quite a huge file for me. However, it is interesting. Sadly, my location is too small that makes it not at all interesting after all. :)

jmb said...

Hi ipanema,
Once you have done your own location it's so interesting doing it again, although I have explored my old home and assorted cities I've travelled in. So every now and again I fire it up and it reminds me of those places. I like the photos people have taken and somehow are associated with google.
regards
jmb