Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Coffee on the Terrace












A strange phenomenon seems to occur every year after the Labour Day weekend in North America. Students return to school and university after the long summer break, but it seems that everyone's energy is recharged and adults run around joining groups, registering for courses and generally moving into a higher gear of living.

The group that I belong to, the Faculty Women's Club, has its first meeting of the year in September, for we too follow the academic year of the University. Traditionally, for many years, it has been Coffee on the Terrace of the old house, Cecil Green Park, which is our home on campus. You see it above, showing the long terrace at the top of the stairs.



As you see, we are a rather elderly lot

So this morning, on a beautiful sunny Fall day, we gathered together to catch up with old friends and meet new ones, while drinking coffee and nibbling things and appreciating the splendid view that Cecil Green Park commands. We also took the opportunity to sign up for the various interest groups which the Club hosts. Of the eighteen interest groups on offer, I belong to five and I am co-convener of a sixth. I'm sure you can guess which one that is. Yes indeed, the Thursday Walking Group.


The view from the covered terrace this morning shows the lovely snow-capped mountains in the distance. Please click to enlarge.

I started this blog at the end of last year's activities and although I did share the last meeting with you, I hope to share more of them with you this year. There are some interesting talks planned for the meetings and in October we celebrate our 90th anniversary.


The trees have grown during the years but it is still a fine view to behold and we count ourselves lucky to have use of this lovely old heritage building with its magnificent location on the campus.

Today is September 11th. Let's remember those innocent people, from 115 countries, who died in the tragedy of the terrorist attacks on the USA six years ago and the heroes, who in trying to save them, gave their own lives.

17 comments:

Voyager said...

Cecil Green is a beautiful spot. We had the same view from the law School.
I admire your energy and involvement JMB. When I retire can I join the Thursday walking group?
V.

Liz said...

What a fabulous building and amazing view! They might be an elderly lot but I bet they are intelligent and witty conversationalists. Very Vera Britten (only younger of course!)

RUTH said...

Wonderful views. I'll look forward to hearing more of your Walking Group.

Ellee said...

I love the pictures, what beautiful scenery. Glad to hear you are a member of a walking group too - I always maintain the best things in life are free.

Janice Thomson said...

What a gorgeous spot Jmb. It will be wonderful hearing the posts of the walking group adventures as I know there will be exciting places to visit with you as a convener.

Carver said...

Beautiful photographs and I also look forward to your posts about the walking group. I have looked through some of your older posts and thought it was so great the way the group seems to go different places each walk and I love your photographs of the places you go. I'm the same way about this time of year. September always seems more like the beginning of the year than January to me.

Sir James Robison said...

Ah but which one is you, JMB? And it's a delightful terrace too. I remember such as that not in Canada but in California.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

What a lovely venue! I'm sure you'll have a fine and interesting club year. I echo your thoughts regarding September 11th.

Crushed by Ingsoc said...

Do you know, I'm sorry to say, it escaped me.
I think it's the first year I never heard it alluded to.

Which is quite odd, when you think about it.

Lee said...

What a beautiful spot that is!

I will never forget 11th September and I still feel great sorrow.

jmb said...

Hi Voyager,
A lawyer, are you? Lovely spot indeed.

Hi Liz,
It is a great group, even though elderly. All well educated, well travelled, interesting women.

Hi Ruth,
Great view indeed and you'll hear more about the walking group. I have written lots about it before.

Hi Ellee,
The walking group is not as adventuresome as your rambling group but we try. There are two hiking groups but I am past that.

Hi Janice,
If I had my way, I would walk at Granville Island every week!

Hi Carver,
I don't remember this Autumn rush in any other country I've lived in.

Hi James,
Of course I'm the photographer here, but I am a clone of these ladies.

Hi WCLC,
We always have a fun time in this group. Good talks and interesting activities.

Hi Crushed,
What have you been doing, hiding under a rock?

Hi Lee,
No better view of water and mountains. But they should cut those damn trees down, don't you think? Just kidding, tree huggers.

Thanks to you all for visiting and commenting.
Regards
jmb

Gretchen said...

Beautiful photos.

ipanema said...

again, you have exhibited beautiful photos!

Oh, I love to be in groups! I think you ladies are doing just fine. I love to age gracefully like you all are doing. :)

Anonymous said...

very nice photos of west van.my sister lives over there around that tip of shoreline.used to teach at U.B.C. also.sometimes i miss Vancouver but it passes quickly.interestig to find you at Theo's.c.j.g.of eroticalee

jmb said...

Hi Gretchen,
Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Hi Ipanema,
It's impossible to not take beautiful photos at this spot. I hope we are aging gracefully but we are still a lively interesting bunch.

Hi cjg,
I think I would miss Vancouver very much if I left, even though there are many beautiful spots on this planet. Less rain would be an improvement.
Theo is a BP member as I am and I noticed the raccoon photo on a feeder of the BP members so had to visit.
Thank you for visiting and commenting and regards to you all.
jmb

Cathy said...

Beautiful! I want you to know that I took your advise and joined a book reading club. We are right now reading one of my very favorites "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom. I was so happy that they let me chose the book for us to read, so soon after joining them. If you remember, I tried to start a book club when we still lived in the condo but I didn't see much interest in it there.

but, now I have a neighbor who invited me to join one..I am so happy about it.

but a walking group, I'm sure I couldn't keep up with them, and they would get frustrated by having to wait for me.

jmb said...

Hi Cathy,
That's great news about the book club. Sometimes either everyone is already in a club or they are not interested so it is hard to start one.
I'm glad you've found one and they chose your selection.
regards
jmb