Thursday, November 15, 2007

Autumn in Vancouver

Once, for a university level course which I took after I retired, I had to write a 500 word essay in Italian about Autumn. I talked about how I didn't really like Autumn, or Fall as we call it here in Canada. Yes, Fall, because the leaves fall off the trees obviously, and after our Indian summer, which can sometimes last until the end of October, the rain arrives with a vengeance along with the dark evenings.

Houseboats near Granville Island

The Pacific Northwest region of Canada is geologically speaking quite young since it is volcanic mountain range country, with relatively young forests which are mainly evergreen cedars, pines, hemlock, spruce, douglas fir and it is not renowned for the Fall colour of the trees. But there are enough maples and other deciduous trees both in the parks and in private gardens to give us a little taste of the autumn colours for which the eastern part of Canada and the United States is so famous.



Sometimes, in Autumn, I look around and see a beautiful day with the sun shining, the air clear and bracing, the mountains with clouds wreathing their summits, a blue sky above and I realize that there is beauty in this season.


Never to late in the season for a sail, if the weather warrants it.
Recent photo on a very fine Autumn day

Occasionally we are lucky and instead of rain we get a fine, cloudy day on a Thursday for our walking group outing. This year we have had a particularly fine year for Fall colour. I am not alone in these thoughts because many people have commented on it. The photos were taken recently on a Thursday walk.


So, despite the fact that the leaves are now slimey underfoot on the sidewalks and in the parks, I think I have enjoyed the good parts of Autumn this year and perhaps it is not such a bad season after all. However I am looking forward to Spring.

The fine day was appreciated by these musicians who were making a music video with this rotunda as a background. No singer was present but a beautiful female voice came from huge speakers. Everyone was rugged up except the two musicians. Vancouver is known as Hollywood North so you run into filming quite often in these parts.


16 comments:

Liz said...

It looks very lovely.

Carver said...

Beautiful photographs for fall. Looks very appealing in Vancouver. I had no idea that Canadians called Autumn fall. That's what I grew up calling it and still do call it that around family and friends from here, but I thought it was a southeastern U.S. word for autumn. On my blog I tend to call it autumn not being sure if people will know what I'm talking about, if I call it fall. Interesting to find out that Canadians call it the same thing I do.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I love the word "fall". Beautiful tree photos, jmb.

Janice Thomson said...

Beautiful photos Jmb! I love autumn and what it signifies though often it is hard to adjust to. It certainly lends itself to many poetic compositions LOL

MedStudentWife said...

Its lovely JMB - I always did like the west coast.

I get to enjoy it for a bit next week - I'll be in Victoria for a work related conference (I'm one of the planners/hosts).

I just have to hit Roger's Chocolates and Murchie's Teas, though, if I get a chance to do anything outside of work:)

(Why do I think that I mentioned that somewhere already... the brain is starting to betray me...ekkkkk!!)

Sarabeth said...

I lived for years in a place where fall was only noted by a change in the sports that were played. When I left there for the northwest, I was happy to see a bit of color in the Cascades. Yet, moving to the eastern US changed how I felt about fall. I saw it as a harbinger of winter instead of a lovely sight.

My thoughts have changed a small amount since then, but I am looking forward to living in a place where fall is just a cooler part of summer.

Josie said...

What gorgeous photos! Our fall this year was nicer than our summer, wasn't it? But the dreary, rainy months have now set in. Well, look at the bright side, in five (short) weeks, the days will start getting longer and brighter again.

Baron Higham-West said...

Autumn and Winter are wondrous things, JMB, as you amply illustrate.yho

lady macleod said...

Thank you for the tour. As you know, fall is my favouite season. I will say that last shot looks a bit chilly.. As your scientist-guy says, "Time for a nice cup of tea."

Ellee said...

I love the golden colours, I hope you enjoyed the busker, we have lots in Cambridge, from classical to the comic and jazz bands too.

Tai said...

I love that walk along the False Creek seawall...I miss it!
Thanks for your beautiful pictures!

jams o donnell said...

It looks beautiful jmb. I love the dep autumnal colours. We've just had our first couple of frosts so my fuchsias look pretty sad.

Crushed by Ingsoc said...

The X files was filmed in Vancouver, wasn't it?

sally in norfolk said...

just love those autumn colours

Eurodog said...

jmb,
Beautiful colours.
I have never seen houseboats on two floors.

Mauigirl said...

Lovely pictures!