Friday, November 23, 2007

Pieces of Eight

This meme was passed to me from Lady Mac and she sent it to Welshcakes too. Both answered it brilliantly so I don't think I can compete with them. But I'll give it my best shot.

8 things I'm passionate about

1. My family, especially my one and only granddaughter
2. Animals, preferring dogs to others
3. Women having equal rights and opportunities and naturally equal pay for work of equal value. Sorry James.
4. Books, books, books
5. Museums, all kinds
6. Zoos. I could watch animals for hours and I would have made a very good animal behaviourist.
7.
Keeping my mind active, learning something new every day
8. Good food, preferably cooked by someone else, and good quality dark chocolate

That list doesn't seem very altruistic, does it? I must be gettin
g old.


8 things to do before I die

1. Go on safari, as if you haven't heard that one before.
2. Read all the books on my TBR pile, a very unlikely event since they keep multiplying like bacteria.
3. Go back to study in Italy.
4. Become truly, truly fluent in Italian.
5. Finish a huge queen sized quilt that I've been making for ten years, at least. It only has to be quilted.
6. Finish putting all my books into a data base so I don't buy the same one twice, which I've been known to do.
7. Go on safari. Did I mention that already?

Yes I know there are only 7 here but I can't think of another thing. Well until I hit publish and then something will occur to me, in which case I'll update it.
I've always hated goal setting when I've been forced to do it for some reason, in some course I was taking or whatever. You also have to remember that I have less time to achieve these goals than many.


8 things I say often

1. What the hell is going on ( I have to change it to "what the heck" around my granddaughter).
2. Hi (somehow it has changed from hello over the years), always accompanied by a big smile I'm told.
3. Tell me...
4. What are you reading?
5. Thank you, no. Or Yes, please. It depends.
6. Let's stop pussyfooting around and get on with it.
7.
Where are my glasses? (It seems Welshcakes and I share this problem)
8.
Bugger, bugger, bitch, bitch!

8 books I've read recently

1. The Bookseller of Kabul --Asne Seierstad
2. The Pianist -- Wladyslaw Szpilman
3. Peony in Love -- Linda See
4. The Water's Lovely -- Ruth Rendell
5. A Russian Diary -- Anna Politkovskaya
6. The Tipping Point -- Malcolm Gladwell
7. Body Surfing -- Anita Shreve
8. Still Summer -- Jacqueline Mitchard

I must say that this blogging business has seriously cut into my reading time! Well book reading, since obviously I read a lot of blogs.

8 song I could listen to over and over

1. Nessun' dorma Luciano Pavarotti or Ben Heppner
2. Send in the Clowns Judy Collins
3. Con te partirĂ³ Andrea Bocelli
4. Dancing in the Streets David Bowie and Mick Jagger
5. Home to Stay Josh Groban
6. O Holy Night Luciano Pavarotti
7.
Clouds Joni Mitchell
8. Amazing Grace, Joan Baez, Judy Collins or just about anybody, a cappella or on the bagpipes

This meme said songs but really I'd like to have put Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto or Pictures at an Exhibition or Elgar's Cello Concerto or some other classical pieces.

8 qualities I look for in a best friend

1. Empathy
2. Ability to listen
3. Sense of humour
4. Curious about things
5. Fun to be with
6. Dependable
7. Forgiving
8. Compassionate

Can I say that this is a mighty strange collection of eights? Especially the last set. But there you have it. Not the best meme I've ever done. If you are interested in doing it, knock yourself out.

8 comments:

Chrysalis Angel said...

That was great. I think those things are interesting. You get to know a little more about a person. Hope you are feeling better from your cold. Just popping in to say hi and read.

lady macleod said...

brilliant! I'm, as you know, really with you on the chocolate and having someone else cook; as well as the books! I'm adding those to my list, which also has the bacteria problem - sigh, but in a good way. I have read "The Tipping Point", but not the others.

I hope you are feeling better. You are right that when we are ill we really appreciate our normal good health!

Janice Thomson said...

Gosh I loved this little insight into JMB. Your choice of music is excellent especially in the after note too. Nobody sings Nessun Dorma like Pavarotti...gosh now I will have to go listen to it again - and again...oh and maybe Mendelssohn's violin too.
Fantastic post Jmb.

Tai said...

I really enjoyed the wide variety of books you listed! I read like that,too...all over the place.

Josie said...

"Nessun' dorma Luciano Pavarotti or Ben Heppner." Oh, yes, absolutely!

"Bugger, bugger, bitch, bitch!" I love it! Somehow I would never have thought of your as the swearing type. Heh. Can I borrow it?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I think you've done it brilliantly, too, jmb! [I mean as well as Lady M, not me!] And your title is really brilliant! those glasses are a bugger....

leslie said...

I did this meme, too, and sent it to Welshcakes and she urged me to post it. Maybe I will since I have nothing else terribly interesting to post at the moment. Love your picks.

jmb said...

HI Ca,
I like to read these things but find them difficult to do.

Hi Lady Mac,
Glad you enjoyed the list. Those darn books are a problem for sure!

Hi Janice,
I'm glad we share some of the same taste in music.

Hi Tai,
Yes my reading taste is pretty eclectic, a mix of fiction and non.

Hi Josie,
You have to remember I'm Australian so certain swear words were part of my heritage. Feel free to borrow the last one. Expresses extreme frustration very well.

Hi Welshcakes
We didn't seem to come up with much else in common, well Italy of course, besides the glasses.

Hi Leslie,
It's a good meme to find out something about a blogger isn't it? And I see you decided to post it yourself.

Thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting.
jmb