Tuesday, December 11, 2007

On the eighth day of Hanukkah

Tonight is the eighth night of the Jewish festival of Hanukkah. You may be surprised to see a post about it on a non Jewish person's site. But I wanted to share something special with you. Of course we gentiles all know what a menorah is. It looks like the image at the left, right?

Well, not always. The No 1 Dinosaur, he of the famous three simple rules of blogging, which I mentioned recently here, and one of my regular medblog reads, collects menorah (plural - menorot) and for each of the eight days of Hanukkah he has been posting one of his collection of more than two dozen, with a little story about each. This has been an education in itself and each is more delightful than the one before.

Dino started his series with a general post about the menorah and mused about how he began his collection, of which he had the following to say:
Some are cute; some are whimsical; some are cool; all are gorgeous, in my humble opinion, of course.
To give you an idea of what is in store for you if you go visit his site, with his permission, I give you one of my favourites, although how can I choose. Dino calls it the quirkiest, the wildest, the most "Do I really have the nerve to buy this thing?" menorah in my collection.


Please follow this link to the culmination of his series, with his newest acquisition on display and then go to Home and scroll down the page to see the rest. Enjoy.


Here is what Dino calls his boring old ordinary menorah,
fully alight tonight, on the last night of Hanukkah.
But just wait till you see his pièce de résistance
then scroll down for them all.


Thank you Dino for sharing your very special treasures with us. Happy Hanukkah to you and to any of my readers who are celebrating this Festival of Lights.

16 comments:

#1 Dinosaur said...

Wow. Thanks for all the linky love. Happy Holidays to all.

Vic Grace said...

Interesting menorah I will pop over to visit dinosaur. Thanks

Cariboo Ponderer

Eurodog said...

Interesting post, jmb. Thank you.

Bretwalda Edwin-Higham said...

Fabulous, JMB - really good blogging.

lady macleod said...

Oh too much fun! thank you for sharing.

leslie said...

This is fascinating, jmb. I even popped over to the other site to see the collection. I had no idea there were so many varieties of menorrah!

Ellee Seymour said...

This is all news to me, a very interesting post.

Gledwood said...

Do you do Xmas then?

Do you eat pork?

I loathe swinefleisch!

Though the swines (living) can be quite entertaining!!

;->...

leslie said...

Hi again, just popped over to tell you I posted a little Christmas quiz so come on over and give it a try. :D Have an awesome day!

MedStudentWife said...

Thanks JMB :) Great post !!!

Liz said...

Wow, I loved the family meal one best! Aren't they great?

Crushed by Ingsoc said...

Isn't Hannukah something to do with the Maccabees?

Gledwood said...

ps I'm not a Jew either!!

jmb said...

Hi Dino,
It was great to share the pleasure you gave us with your collection.

Hi Vic Grace,
Isn't it great? You'll love the other too.

Hi Eurodog,

Glad you enjoyed it. A bit of a surprise no doubt.

Hi James,
Thanks, the idea just came from
his fascinating photos.

Hi Lady Mac,
Some of them were really lots of fun, especially the shoe one.

Hi Leslie,
It was surprise to me how diverse these objects could be.

Hi Ellee,
Thanks. It was fascinated by the series. Each day as it unfolded the menorah of the day was better than the previous ones.

Hi Gleds,
I sure do do Christmas. I'm not Jewish, but Dino is. I love pork:)

Hi MSW,
Are you Jewish? If you are enjoy Dino's posts.

Hi Liz,
They are just fabulous, all so different. He has so many of them.

Hi Crushed,
It sure is. It celebrates the re-dedication of the Temple in Jerusalem by Judah Maccabee and his followers after the Greeks had dedicated it to Zeus for a time.

Hi Gleds,
I guessed that.

Thanks to all for visiting and commenting.
regards
jmb

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Fascinating, jmb. I didn't know what the plural of menorah was and I love that quirky one.

jmb said...

Hi Welshcakes,
Dino had a very nice series of posts on this topic and it appears he has lots left to show us for several more years.
regards
jmb