Sunday, February 17, 2008

New MyBlogLog Widget and Awards

Something I want to bring to your attention in my sidebar is the new format of the MyBlogLog widget. Eyes right! Isn't it the neatest thing? I haven't seen it in anyone else's sidebar yet, so I am thinking that maybe few know about it. Temporarily I have the new one, with small avatars to fit more in, and the old at the top of the sidebar so you can compare.

I have the MyBlogLog blog on my bloglines feed, so in a new post I discovered that they had reworked the widget to give this very splashy one. You can change the colours of the display and the size of the avatar and you can set up the number of avatars to show quite easily, with the maximum number of rows being 10. After you have tweeked it to your liking, you take the code and insert into the sidebar. The really neat thing about it is that when you hover your mouse over the avatar a window opens with a little more information about the visitor. Check it out on mine and go play yourself. I think you will like it, especially if previously you did not know how to increase the number of avatars displayed. Luckily a blog friend helped me with that on the old widget but now anyone can do it easily.

No unfortunately, no money changed hands for this testimonial.

Every now and again someone will present me with an award and I thank them and think to post it later. Sometimes, well quite often actually, I forget and I am really bad because I often don't pass them on. I had a piece of paper by the computer with a couple written down but it seems to have disappeared. I'm not so good with memes either, usually only doing the ones that appeal to me. So this is also a bit of a catch-up post of a couple of recent ones.


This one above came to me via Ian at Failure is the Key to Success, one of my first commenters, just over a year ago. Thank you so much Ian, I do appreciate it. Acceptance is conditional on passing it on to 10 more people. I'm going to pick some of my medblog reads so I don't think the award will be going much farther down that road. Still they are all excellent reads. Dr Rob, wild and crazy pediatrician and internist; Dr Schwab, surgeon extraordinaire; Ex Utero, neonatologist and excellent writer; Grunt Doc, maverick ER doc; Shadowfax, another ER doc; Suture for a Living, all you ever wanted to know about plastic surgery and quilting; Dr Val, online doctor at revolutionhealth.com; No 1 Dino, solo practitioner and he of the three cardinal rules of blogging; other things amanzi, surgeon in South Africa with tales to tell; and finally Brainhell, ALS patient who died recently but left a magnificent written legacy of that journey.


Liz of Finding Life Hard? gave me the Nice Matters Award. Thank you so much Liz, who seems very nice from what I see in her blog and she passed it to some other nice people but nice is an adjective I don't think about in regards to myself. Oh I try, quite unsuccessfully it seems to me. Maybe I'll have to try harder in the future to live up to this award.

If you gave me an award and I did not post it, I do apologize. Put it down to the old lady being a bit forgetful now and again and losing her piece of paper.

Update: I remembered one more award:


Leslie of the Pedalogue was kind enough to pass this award on to me and said some very kind words about me and this blog for which I thank her. Leslie is a local blogger and one day we'll get together.


18 comments:

Vic, the Cariboo Ponderer said...

I'll have to check that out. I don't know that I have that many visitors from MyBlogLog actually, at least not since I moved from blogspot.

You are certainly to be applauded for doing all that exercise so faithfully. We have no gyms around here of course but I can't use that as an excuse as I probably wouldn't go anyway.

ThunderDragon said...

Very nifty!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Must get around to mybloglogging!

rlbates said...

Thank you JMB! I appreciate that you think my blog is "Excellent".

Rob said...

Thanks so much for the nod!

Sid Schwab said...

Yes, what they said!

Rositta said...

That's really cool, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the link...ciao

Matt M said...

I'm signed up with MyBlogLog, but I never remember to log in - which makes it a bit useless really.

Well, it or me.

Carver said...

Hi JMB,

I haven't ever checked out the myblog log although I've noticed it on people's blogs. Maybe I'll do that at some point.

It's funny how it works with adjectives. I would associate nice with you from getting to know you through blogging. However, I understand how we don't always see ourselves as others do. I've often been surprised by some of the adjectives people have used to describe me, ha.

I can also understand about losing those slips of paper. I even have piles currently on my floor which are divided by work, friends, family, etc. My big fear is that my work (not time critical) will get mixed into another not time critical pile as time critical is relative.

Take care, Carver

Josie said...

You definitely deserve both those awards, JMB. You have one of the best blogs in the blogosphere. Is that a word?

I haven't been able to visit many blogs lately, with one thing and another, but whenever I visit you, there is always something new and interesting over here. :-)

Ian Lidster said...

Congratulations on your awards, all of them thoroughly deserved. And, on your widget. Funny, I've never complimented a woman on her widget before.

Jessica said...

It is a neat widget, isnt it? I like it! COngrats on all of the awards

Ellee Seymour said...

Congratulations on all your awards, I like the new photo link too, you are a demon with the web.

Bretwalda Edwin-Higham said...

small avatars to fit more in

I like big pics of visitors so I can see them whilst replying. Just one of my strange habits.

Ian said...

You're welcome jmb.

I'm undecided on the new widget yet. I don't like any of the set colours at the moment. Maybe I'll change from the old one once they add the ability to tweak the colour scheme.

Regards,
Ian

sally in norfolk said...

love the new widget :-)

Cathy said...

Oh, those are all great awards you have been given. All very well deserved also!

I have been thinking about joining up with mybloglog again. This may convince me to do so.

Liz said...

I have MyBlogLog (I think) but I don't really understand it anymore than I understand anything technical. But your new one is neat.

As for the award, you're worth it! Your blog is always nice, and that means, I'm sure, that you are too.