Thursday, March 6, 2008

Seven Good Things in Life --- plus an Award

I was tagged with the meme, Seven Good Things in Life, by fellow Blogpower member, Grendel whose own answers included the wonderful word trencherdom, which greatly tickled my fancy. I think he made it up, but, as I said in a recent post, trencherman is a word that I use on occasion, so I was happy to see that I was not the only one who appreciates it.

But getting down to brass tacks here:

1. Chocolate. What can I say? I've written before about it being the Achilles' heel of JMB. But I've given it up for Lent. I gave it up for Advent too and in between Christmas and Lent. In fact I'm abstaining from it totally for a while. But I can taste it on my tongue, just writing about it, wonderful dark bitter chocolate. Hi, I'm JMB and I'm a chocoholic.

2. Books. A great book by the fire on a rainy day. Books are my passion. Bookstores are my passion. Libraries are my passion. Yes, I own a lot of books. Thousands. I guess I'm a bookaholic too, but there's no way I'm giving them up!

3. Dogs. Nothing is more wonderful than a doggy companion. Sadly I don't have a dog any more. My last one, Cleo, the Westie of my avatar, was not replaced. Owning a dog is a fifteen year commitment and I may not have fifteen years on my horizon, so we decided not to get another. Well one of us did. Guess which one?

4. The techie toys. My laptop, my iPod, my Palm PDA, my cell phone. I do love these things that make my life more challenging as well as more interesting. Frustrating too sometimes.

5. Friends. Nothing is more enjoyable than activities shared with friends. My friends and I have a lot of fun and share many laughs. We care about each other and we can count on each other. What more could one ask?

6. A great meal. Preferably cooked by someone other than me. Preferably at least three courses, with a spectacular dessert to finish. Preferably shared with good company.

The most perfect meal I have ever eaten was in 1988, at Chinon, France, with my daughter and husband, at a place called La Gargantua. We were just walking by and saw this restaurant in an outdoor courtyard, enclosed by a stone wall, and it looked so pleasant and inviting we went right in. The food was amazing, it was a beautiful evening and an all-around memorable experience.

7. Family, last but not least. Especially my four year old granddaughter. I had to wait a long time to become a grandmother, until I was 68. For years I had nothing to contribute to conversations about grandchildren. Even though she lives on the East Coast of the USA, luckily with the techie toys, I have been able to share in her life, thanks to Skype and my webcam and the video that her father faithfully emails both sets of distant grandparents every day.

I won't tag people specifically but anyone who reads this post is welcome to take up the meme if it appeals to you.

Now the award: You Light Up My Life


This came to me from Mary, the Teach, at Work of the Poet, who created the award and being the literary person she is, found the perfect quotation to go with it.

"Light gives of itself freely, filling all available space. It does not seek anything in return; it asks not whether you are friend or foe. It gives of itself and is not thereby diminished."

Rabbi Michael Strassfeld

Many thanks to you Mary for this, it is quite an honour, coming from you.

There are so many people to whom I could pass this award, however if you read here feel free to accept this award, for my regular readers and commenters all light up my life. One person I will name, although I know she will not accept or pass it on, but she brings light into the world with her precious words, the words of a poet, along with her photos and paintings. After a hiatus, Janice Thomson of Drinking the Moon is back, delighting her readers once more. Why don't you pass by and see what she has to offer. You won't regret it.

11 comments:

Eurodog said...

jmb,
good fun.
I, like you, enjoy a meal cooked by someone else except on the one occasion many years ago when we attended a formal dinner party and were served undercooked (nearly raw ) pheasant. The hostess was so drunk she did not notice. Luckily one of her close friends took matters in hand. Phew!

Bretwalda Edwin-Higham said...

You'll always be a champion, JMB.

Janice Thomson said...

Loved your seven good things and agree with every single one of them, in particular the books. I think I own enough too, to last many a lifetime LOL.

Congratulations on the award, which I happen to agree with. Your blog does indeed enlighten those of us who visit.
And what a wonderful surprise Jmb! Thank you so much for your touching words. Painting and poetry are my life - I enjoy sharing the beauty of the little things I see and sometimes from a different perspective. [And how well you know me! :) ]

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Lovely post and I can just imagine the French meal. I'm with you on books and dogs. I think I'd add make-up!

Ian Lidster said...

Congratulations to you, and you do light up my life. Otherwise, I think Janice is a splendid choice. She too lights up my life. And your seven choices were excellent.

Carver said...

Hi JMB, I enjoyed your seven good things in life. I agree on all counts. The award is also well deserved. My parents had to wait 60 years for a grandchild. My daughter was their first and the only one my mom lived to see. When you write about your granddaughter, for some reason it makes me think of my parents and how much they enjoyed my daughter. Fun post.

leslie said...

This is a good meme - it shows me that you and I are very alike. I'm not a chocoholic, although I do like chocolate, and I don't have as many tekkie toys as you do. But everything else would definitely be on my list! :D And I'm like Welshcakes - I'm a makeup addict!

Tai said...

Many congrats! And Janice's blog is lovely, an excellent choice!

Bretwalda Edwin-Higham said...

I wish you all good things tomorrow on the International Day of Women and may it be a process of healing and understanding each our genders.

Sean Jeating said...

Before switching the light off and falling into the feathers: Congrats, jmb, and a wonderful weekend with your 'seven good things'. :)

cathy said...

jmb, wow, you have a lot more tech toys than I do. I still don't have an IPOD and I can barely use the digital camera.

I love the one about your granddaughter. They are indeed special.