Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spring is Sprung, the Grass is Riz


Spring is sprung,

De grass is riz,
I wonder where dem birdies is?
De little birds is on de wing,
Ain't dat absurd?
De little wing is on de bird!


Well let me tell you the wings are so little on these birds. Totally out of proportion to what they will be later. Seven is a goodly number of offspring for this pair.


And they are just wonderful, these little balls of fluff, sitting on the grass among the English daisies. Much as Canada Geese are such a pest in general, when you see a sight such as this, you can't help admiring them.


Sadly, or not, depending on your point of view, the chances of all seven surviving to adulthood are quite slim and the pair next to them had but one large gosling. These photos were taken at the duck pond at Granville Island today and the geese sit right next to the pathway with little concern for the passersby, unless they come too close. So before my arrival, the goose on the right had his head tucked under his wing, having a snooze. But danger, danger, do I have to get up and attack this pesky camera-wielding female? Maybe she'll go away and I can get back to napping.

17 comments:

Nunyaa said...

Very good photos JMB, and I'm taking the softy approach here, they cute as well :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

They are all so beautiful so I hope they all make it to adulthood.

Carver said...

Those are great shots JMB. They are so cute at that stage. I enjoy the Canadian Geese here although some of the golfers don't like the way they have tried to take over the golf courses. I'm not a golfer so I chuckle when our local paper has articles about the problems they cause on local golf courses.

Vic, the Cariboo Ponderer said...

So lovely to see the little animals and birds. I have only seen two Canada geese here as yet although when we drove south to Burns Lake I could see flocks in the fields where the snow had receded. We will have to wait a bit yet I guess.

Janice Thomson said...

Super photos JMB - the goslings are adorable - the parents mighty fine specimens of Canada Geese.

Josie said...

Aw, those are gorgeous. I love going down to Jericho Park at this time of the year to watch the baby ducks under the little bridge.

Good photos!

CalumCarr said...

Like the post!

Re the numbers surviving to adulthood: the natural world can be so "cruel" but we forget how cosseted we humans are and how our expectations are so different

Semaj Mahgih said...

That's quite a poem, JMB.

Ellee Seymour said...

What gorgeous chicks, i hope they all survive. And spring is sprung here too in the UK, I can't wait to get stuck into my gardening. Have a good weekend.

Liz said...

Aww, they are so sweet and fluffy!

jams o donnell said...

Now that is a delightful scene jmb. I must go check the local ponds. I would guess the red eared sliders are out after hibernation too.

Pam 'oh Da Woods said...

Beautiful pictures.....just found your blog through Leslie.
Pam 'Oh Da Woods

Ian Lidster said...

I used to have geese when I was a boy, and am still very fond of them.

Love that little verse; it's an old favorite of mine and far less ribald than my First of May one.

CherryPie said...

Those chicks are gorgeous, what a fun poem :-)

jmb said...

I am falling down on answering my commenters here but my computer is acting up. So it's a generic thank you to you all for visiting and commenting on my little gosling photos.
regards
jmb

telefonsex said...

Good Job! :)

frankschoeman@optonline.net said...

The photos are great, I learned the poem 49 years ago in South Africa, but it had a Brooklyn accent:
Spring is sprung, de grass is riz
I wonder where dem boidies is
De boid is on de wing
But dat's absoid
De wing in on de boid.