Monday, April 21, 2008

Wet Coast Women


Some of you may have noticed this button way down the bottom of my sidebar. Wet Coast Women. Long ago Mary Anne, a member of WCW, commented on one of my Vancouver posts that I should submit the post to their blog and become a member of this group which I did.

It was started by Crunchy of Crunchy Carpets , where clean socks are a privilege not a right ( a woman after my own heart) and I don't remember how many bloggers there were at the time, probably around thirty or so. Not all are in Vancouver by any means, but in the surrounding area, including Vancouver Island. The Wet Coast region. Although the group is starting to get members from farther afield recently.

Crunchy is quite techie so the blog is a Wordpress one which was a complete mystery to me at the time. I managed to copy the post to the editor, although the spacing was not great. I had no idea how to fix it and it stubbornly resisted all my efforts. But up it went on the site as it was.

Quite often the site was very quiet, no matter how hard Crunchy tried to encourage people to participate. Since I have the biggest guilt complex imaginable I would copy some post about Vancouver that I written for my site and put it there and for a while it was only Crunchy and I posting intermittently.

Funnily enough I have received some recognition from a post I put up there which completely escaped notice on my own blog. My post on Steveston was picked up from the WCW site and I was asked for permission for it to be included on the official Steveston website where it now sits. Another one, Vancouver -- the Downside also created interest there, although that one did at my site too.

The number of bloggers associated with the group is now around 74 by my count and while few of them post, there has been much more action on the blog lately with more people posting than usual.

It may be coincidental but after Crunchy made the suggestion that we should have a get together suddenly more people began to post at WCW. While it is not easy to schedule something for a multitude of individuals Saturday April 18th was the date and the place, The Whip, a rather funky pub-style restaurant.

I was determined to go, despite my cataract surgery being but a few days prior, although I was a bit nervous to be meeting a group where I was obviously going to be the matriarch in years at least. As it turned out there were only five of us for dinner with one other who came afterwards to join us.

Mary Anne came all the way from Vancouver Island and brought us all a small gift of a lighthouse photoholder, for she says she comes from Lighthouse country. In fact the last manned lighthouse in BC is on Chrome Island which is nearby.

It was very interesting for me to meet Crunchy and the others, to find out a bit more about them and to hear about the future plans for the site which is currently being revamped. I thought it was quite the fun evening and I'm sure it will be the first of other get togethers of the members of Wet Coast Women. I would like to thank Crunchy for all the hard work she does for the site and for organizing the get together and hopefully more will be able to attend next time.

Click on the button or the banner to check out the WCW site or for Crunchy's report here.

10 comments:

Barbara Doduk said...

Great to meet you, it was wonderful meeting everyone and getting to talk on a personal level. Send me pictures if you got em. :)

Cheers!

Semaj Mahgih said...

I'm converted, I'm converted. I'm on my way over to become a west coast woman right now.

crunchycarpets said...

Awww thanks...it was wonderful to meet you....you are too much fun and thank you for all your crossposting!!!

and yes photos please!!!! get them up!

Dr.John said...

Glad you found a good group in which you have an interest.

CherryPie said...

Sounds like a fun thing to do :-)

Carver said...

That sounds like fun. I'm glad you were feeling well enough after your surgery to go.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time, and 5 for dinner was probably ideal - at least you could really get to know each other. Well done for attending, jmb.

Smalltown RN said...

It was great to meet you....it was a funky little place wasn't it....I am going to post tonight with the few photos I took....take care and keep on blogging my friend...

leslie said...

Next time! :D

jmb said...

Hi Barbara, it was great to meet you too. The photos have been sent.
Hi James,
Wet coast woman,not West. You remember the rain I'm sure.
Hi Crunchy,
It's up to you to put up the photos. It was fun, if noisy.
Hi Dr John,
They found me in fact
Hi Cherrypie,
It was fun to meet some local bloggers. My blog friends are very far flung.
Hi Carver,
My surgery has not stopped me at all thank goodness.
Hi Welshcakes,
With five we could all have a general conversation instead of little groups.
Hi Mary Anne,
It was a funky place, not my usual milieu but it was fine.
Hi Leslie,
You would have enjoyed meeting the others I'm sure. Next time as you say.

Thanks to all for visiting and commenting.
regards
jmb