Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Springtime in Vancouver means Rhododendron Season


To my mind there is no more beautiful place in the world in Springtime than Vancouver. Some of the things which make that true are the wonderful azaleas and rhododendrons which bloom so prolifically in this part of the world. The constant rain makes the soil very acidic which is the ideal environment for these shrubs and in fact there are species of rhododendrons native to this area.

Usually on the Granville Island walk the members of the Thursday walking group follow the activities on the water but at this time of year we drink in the beautiful gardens which line the walk along False Creek. I thought you might like to share some of the beauty of one of our recent walks.

This spectacular pair of rhododendrons are on the path beside the Pacific Institute
of Culinary Arts
where we often take lunch in their coffee shop

The colour is just exquisite

Even closer, you can see that it is a bicolour

The path we follow is lined with these beauties, mixed in with other
perennials, for quite some way

This deciduous azalea seems quite bland between this pair
of purple rhododendrons

But a closeup reveals that it too is spectacular

The oriental poppies were vying for our attention too with their brilliant red heads

While blue alliums were tucked among the hardy geraniums and other plants

I don't remember what this perennial is called but it is trying
very hard to not be outdone by the red rhododendron

For the grand finale, a spectacular blue ceanothus shrub,
well I think you could call this one a small tree

I think the day I took these photographs every plant and shrub was at its peak and it seemed to take twice as long to do the walk as I had to keep stopping to take another photograph. I think you will agree that Vancouver is indeed very beautiful in Springtime.

27 comments:

Eurodog said...

Absolutely stunning, jmb.
We visited some beautiful gardens on Vancouver Island near Victoria more than 20 years now. I have forgottezn the name. Butchard Gardens could it be?

Phil A said...

We have a large blue ceanothus in our garden. It is loaded with blue flowers at the moment that attracts bees and bumble bees in huge numbers.

Sarabeth said...

Very, very lovely.

rlbates said...

Beautiful! Wish I could join you walking along there.

Carver said...

Thank you so much for this post JMB. What a pleasure to see Vancouver in the spring. Also, rhododendrons are one of my very favorite bushes and having lost a much loved one to our drought (which we finally pulled out of), it was especially nice to see the display you shared in this post along with all the other beautiful shots.

CherryPie said...

They are so beautiful, thank you for sharing them with us :-)

jams o donnell said...

Wow jmb what a wonderful sight. Spring is nature's greatest free display!

Sean Jeating said...

Ah, rhododendron! Lovely.
The more I was surprised that like furze - in Ireland this rhododendron is widely considered as a pest plant.

Thanks for taking me on such a splendid walk, jmb.

Dr.John said...

Those were just the most beautiful flower pictures. I wish I could raise flowers like that.

sally in norfolk said...

wow fantastic flowers.... so bright and beautiful they make you smile :-)

Tai said...

So beautiful! I miss that walk, but I'm sure glad you're there to take such wonderful pictures!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Liz said...

It is, jmb. Absolutely beautiful. We have Clyne Gardens near us and they are renowned for their yearly rhododendron and azalea display. Fabulous colours.

you have reminded me that we used to have a small ceanothus in our garden but I don't know what has happened to it.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Amazing colours.

jmb said...

Thanks Eurodog, I'm sure Butchard gardens is the place you are thinking about.
Phil, they are stunning in bloom, aren't they? Bees do love them
Thanks Sarabeth.
Ramona, you are welcome to join us any time.
Rhododendrons are a big favourite of mine.
Cherrypie, thanks and your welcome.
Jams, I love Spring and would like to move from one Spring to another
Sean,welcome back,I can't believe anyone would consider rhodos a pest.
Dr John, I don't have to look after these ones fortunately, just enjoy them.
Sally they do bring us great pleasure indeed.
Tai, there is something different to see on this walk every time we go. We love it.
You're welcome LGS, they are beautiful.
Liz, that sounds like a place I'd like to visit. I've never had a ceanothus but when they bloom I say I should get one.
Aren't they Welshcakes?

Thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting.
regards
jmb

Ian Lidster said...

I love rhodos and have a number in the garden. Lovely photos. Have you ever seen the ones around Tofino? There they grow tree size.

Rositta said...

Oh wow, they are gorgeous. I have one Rhodo in my garden and I'll be lucky to see two flowers (soon maybe) since the squirrels ate the tops of most of them, sigh...ciao

bettygram said...

Agree it is beautiful .

Lord James Bigglesworth said...

I'd kill for rhododendrons - particularly the pink variety. :) Which do you like?

Heart of Rachel said...

Gorgeous shots! I would love to be surrounded by those lovely blooms.

jmb said...

Ian, I was last in Tofino in the winter so did not notice. I have quite a few in my garden too.

Rositta, laughing at your squirrels but I can sympathisize.

Bettygram, I'm glad you enjoyed them. They were just perfect that day.

James, my favourites are red of course but the bicolour pink was spectacular that day.

Rachel, you should come to visit Vancouver in the Spring and you would be.

Thanks again to everyone for visiting and commenting.
regards
jmb

Nunyaa said...

I could think of nothing so pleasant as to walking around admiring these beautiful blooms. Very nice JMB.

Sue said...

Just surfing through, and wanted to say these are beautiful photos! I can almost smell the flowers :)

Happy weekend!

Ellee Seymour said...

You have the same taste in flowers as me. The best rhodadendrums I have seen are at Sandringham in Norfolk, the royal estate, and I have a fab Ceonothus Trewethin Blue growing up the back of my house as a climber, and it flowers twice a year.

Colin Campbell said...

Beautiful. Seasons here in Adelaide are a little strange. It is the start of winter and many plants that I would expect from my Scottish upbringing are blooming. Trees are budding and things are renewing.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Very stunning...must be a beautiful walk :-)

alex said...

Wow It's an awesome site. The content is really knowledgeable and useful also. This post is really helpful for me. In modern times, people have sought ways to cultivate, buy, wear, or otherwise be around flowers and blooming plants, partly because of their agreeable appearance and smell. Around the world, people use flowers for a wide range of events and functions that, cumulatively, encompass one's lifetime:
===================================
alex
Vancouver Flowers