Monday, June 23, 2008

A Visit to an old Friend and Lunch

Last year I wrote about a visit to an old friend who had moved into a retirement home in an city adjacent to Vancouver. Today, with another friend, I made the trek out there to take her out to lunch. At 88, she is becoming more frail but I think she appreciated being taken out to the Beaches Restaurant in a nearby hotel. The batteries in my camera were dead but I borrowed my friend's camera and she emailed these photos to me. So may I present to you my delicious lunch. I think that if Welshcakes can show you her lunch at L'Altro Posto in Modica, Sicily, then I can show my lunch at Tsawwassen, Canada.


Warm Spinach Salad, with Scallops


Raspberry Chocolate Cake with Crème anglaise

After lunch we took her back to the residence and we sat and chatted with her for a while on the sunny rooftop garden. Some of the residents have their own flower containers which they plant and take care of. One gentleman has two miniature apple trees which are espaliered on trellises and they are covered in tiny apples. The trees are most interesting because they have branches of six different varieties grafted onto each rootstock. I have never seen this before and found it most intriguing. I would love to know how his apple crop turns out.

I snapped her photo, sitting next to her very own planter. It's always a pleasure to visit with this charming elderly Yorkshire gentlewoman, for she still has her delightful sense of humour.

A close-up for your enjoyment, the tiny pansies are very
cheerful little things


17 comments:

Cathy said...

Your lunch looks delicious. Your friend looks very happy and I bet she really appreciated going out to lunch. Her flower pot is lovely.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks for the link. Your friend looks like quite a character and seems so happy. Love the presentation of that cake and all the other photos are great, too.

Chervil said...

Good to see your friend still enjoying gardening, even on a smaller scale. I have heard about the "fruit salad trees" - interesting concept!

Janice Thomson said...

You are such a sweet lady to be so caring about your friends JMB! It's a privilege to know you.
Love the flowers and I too am most intrigued by the apple tree - I never heard of so many grafts on one tree - must look into that.
Lovely photos as usual.
(mmm...raspberry and chocolate - who could ask for anything more tasty) :)

Lord James Bigglesworth said...

What a lunch! What flowers!

CherryPie said...

That desert looks absolutely delicious :-) Your friend looks a lovely lady :-)

Kizzie said...

Raspberry Chocolate Cake with Crème anglaise..looks delicious!

Carver said...

Sounds like an enjoyable visit and lunch with your friend. The shots of the food, flowers, and friend all turned out great. Very lovely.

sally in norfolk said...

everyone seems to be visting friends how lovely :-)

jmb said...

Thanks Cathy, it was and she is a delight.

Thanks Welshcakes,we love to visit her as she is such a lovely lady.

Chervil I must check out this tree too.

Janice, this one is very easy to love, she is so delightful. Raspberry and chocolate, a wonderful combination.

James a double delight for you.

Everything was delicious Cherie.

Chocolate is my favourite thing Kizzie, plus raspberries are right up there too.

Thanks Carver, it was worth the long drive there and back.

Yes Sally, Anne is visiting you. Have a great time.

Thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting.

Nunyaa said...

Gorgeous flowers, beautiful lady, and a sincere friendship. The food looks divine, my mouth is watering at the first dish.

Ellee Seymour said...

What a lovely lunch and a kind gesture for your friend. the flowers are super too.

Dr.John said...

How nice of you to take her out to eat. Her flowers are beautiful.

Liz said...

Your friend doesn't look 88 but she does look full of fun while your lunch looks scrumptious!

That apple tree sounds curious. No, I don't think a tree can be curious. I mean I am curious and the tree sounds interesting!

Eurodog said...

When I come to Vancouver that's what I'll have for lunch.

Baht At said...

chocolate raspberry cheese cake? That must be a work of Satan. Where can I get some?

Baht At said...

ah dear old aunty saves the day

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3725/raspberry-and-milk-chocolate-cheesecake

I may be some time - I'm cooking!