Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Out and About -- The Crystal Ark at Granville Island


The Crystal Ark at Granville Island

When she come to Vancouver from New York, one of the first places my granddaughter wants to visit is Granville Island. There are lots of interesting things for children to do there and we visit them all at her request, however she particularly likes to go to the "rock shop". Click to enlarge the photos.


My daughter and her daughter exiting the Crystal Ark

This brightly coloured small building stands by itself near the duck pond and as you can see is called the Crystal Ark. I don't consider it a spectacular rock shop and never go in there normally as I do with many other rock shops, since I have a small collection and I am often looking to add interesting things.


Too much choice here, Nanna!

At the rear of the store they have a small open room, the floor of which is covered with small polished stones and all the children are invited to remove their shoes and play in them. Of course they have the "privilege" of choosing their own to take home with them. They have three sizes of plastic bag, all you can cram inside, for $3, $5 or $9. At 5 years of age, she remembers this very well and while she started with the $3 bag she has now moved up to the $5 one. Last time she choose all blue ones, yesterday all red!



Yes, they do have some quite big expensive chunks of rock and geodes if you have hundreds of dollars to spend.


There is a case of round rock balls should you desire those

Interesting patterns but they don't tempt me, for they are a bit too regular
in shape for my taste

Of course, we have to stop and check out the ducks at the Lagoons, which is
a condominium development near Granville Island,
with its own pond and waterlilies

The last of the irises and a very fine Gunnera
which thrives in the moist situation

Fortunately I never tire of Granville Island and its surrounding area. I already visit it almost every week and I expect we will be there again in the very near future.


13 comments:

Janice Thomson said...

You have such an adorable looking grand-daughter JMB - a chip off the old block so to speak :)
I love Granville Island and always visit it when in Vancouver. That and the Queen E Park are my favorite places.

Cathy said...

She is a beautiful little girl. You are very blessed. As for this place, I would LOVE to go there. I'm sure my grand kids would like to go with me. I have never seen such a place where the kids can play on the stones.

Dr.John said...

I wish we had someplace close like that where I could take my grandchildren.

mutleythedog said...

What fun and what a lovely looking girl!

Liz said...

She is such a sweetheart! But what a crafty shop: selling otherwise useless pebbles to children!

It looks a beautiful place. I notice you use the word 'condominium'. THis is a very American/Canadian word but recently I have seen a sign near us advertising 8 new condominiums. Husband said, 'What's that?' I have to say that I'm not entirely sure!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

She's definitely taking after you, choosing the red bags, jmb! What a magic place for children.

CherryPie said...

How could such a cute girl resist such treasures :-)

I love that last picture too.

Carver said...

What a fun outing to go on with your granddaughter and daughter. All of the shots are good but I love the one of your granddaughter sitting on the dock by the lily pads. She's a beautiful child and I know you enjoy having her visiting with you.

sexy momma said...

such a cutie and great place!

Ian Lidster said...

What a cool spot. Haven't been to Granville Island in years and must rectify that before very long.

Crushed said...

Are those rocks natural?

I read something similar somewhere, about perfect spheres forming naturally.

jmb said...

Thanks Janice, I'll have to remember Q.E. Park for an outing this week.

Hi Cathy, it's a fun place for kids.

Dr John, not only would they like the Crystal Ark but the whole area is good for kids.

Thanks Muts, it is fun as you can see.

Liz, I often buy those useless pebbles too! Condominium is just used for a self owned apartment in a blog of apartments.

WC, she always wants to go here and blue is her favourite colour actually, but red was the choice this time.

Thanks Cherie,it is irresistible, rocks and water.

A rare occurrence Carver for an outing of the three generations but very enjoyable.

Thanks Sexy Momma, it is a fun place to visit.

Ian, Granville Island is great for all ages and it is really hopping during the summer time.

Afraid not Crushed, which is why I am not so enamoured of the round ones. But the patterns were nice.

Thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting.

regards
jmb

Lord James Bigglesworth said...

Granville is a pretty special place and glad you love it.