Sunday, August 3, 2008

This and That, plus Awards

This was a week of strange happenings out there online for me, causing an endless amount of worry and loss of sleep.

The first thing was the loss of a huge part of my inventory in Second Life. Now just think of one's inventory as a big backpack that you carry around with you everywhere in Second Life, no matter where you are. It's invisible by the way and not at all heavy. Anything you acquire is stuffed inside and you take things out and put them back as the need arises. But suddenly my backpack was almost empty. What had happened to everything? Well inventory loss does happen on occasion and there are remedies, which I discovered. First of all, clear your cache! When I discovered exactly what that meant I did it, logged off and logged back on again, expecting everything to reappear as guaranteed. Well almost guaranteed. Slowly the backpack began to fill again slowly, but then it stopped. Only 20 % of my inventory had reappeared and I did not even have a landmark to my Canadian log cabin rental home. I imagined myself homeless, forever living in the Second Life shopping malls which are open 24/7. By this time it was well after midnight so my neighbour in Second Life, who lives in the UK was up and online and came to my rescue with a landmark and and all kinds of technical advice. But he said do nothing that night, for when tired one only makes errors. By this time it was almost 3am so I took his advice. At 6.30 am I was awake again and at the computer. Miraculously everything was present and correct and the crisis was over. Thank goodness.

The second disaster of the week was an email from Blogger. Your blog has been has been identified as a potential spam blog. To correct this, please request a review. Your blog will be deleted within 20 days if it isn't reviewed, and you'll be unable to publish posts during this time. After we receive your request, we'll review your blog and unlock it within two business days.

Lovely, I was locked out of posting on my own blog. I requested a review immediately and headed to the Blogger forums where I found that I was not alone with this problem. All kinds of people were frantically seeking help and wondering why their harmless blogs had been targeted for this treatment. Now I have a Wordpress blog too, Musings of Nobody Important, just a trial really. I used to post my posts there as well as on Blogger for a short while and then I became lazy. After all I had never really had any trouble with Blogger. So I backed up my blog onto my hard drive, laboriously, month by month for 2008. Then I started copying some more of the posts onto the Wordpress blog, but it was hopelessly time consuming. Miraculously, twenty four hours later, I was unblocked, just in time for Photo Hunt. Another ten years taken off my life! No my hair could not possibly get any greyer!

So now to the third in the trio of disasters, except this one did not really affect me directly but only indirectly. Being a night owl I was still up at 1am to receive an email from a Blogpower member in the UK, telling me that I should immediately remove Sitemeter from our blog site since it was causing the people using Internet Explorer to be unable to access blogs with sitemeter. She wanted to alert everyone to this fact. What? There were no real details and I did a quick google search but found nothing of interest and everything worked just fine with Firefox, and didn't everyone use Firefox nowadays? Once again I decided to leave everthing till morning since it was so late. Next morning I used the dreaded IE 7 and accessed all the blogs that everyone had been having trouble with without any problem. I followed all the links that No Clue sent me and indeed it was Sitemeter causing all the problems, however everything was all fixed by the time I was able to look into it. One of the advantages of living in a different time zone so I avoided all the trouble, well since I always use Firefox it did not affect me anyway. But I did not have to go to the trouble of removing Sitemeter. I'll bet there are some red faces in that company after this weekend.


After all those problems it is nice to receive some awards this week, so forgive the long post, but I need to post these else I'll cause offense and be run out of the blogosphere.


Since this award came to me from Ian Lidster of Or So I thought, a genuinely funny wordsmith who earns his living by the pen (well I think it's a computer in reality, I do hope so anyway) I am particularly pleased. It has to be passed on to 7 other bloggers (no obligation you understand). So without further ado, the envelope please:

Crushed, Mutley, Jams, Beaman, Lady Mac, James, and the enigmatic Sean.


This one came to me from Nunyaa and it is a bit strange in that it seems to be passing from its original Spanish out into the English blogging world. Again no obligation.



RULES
1) You have to pick 5 blogs that you consider deserve this award, creativity, design, interesting material, and also contributes to the blogger community, no matter what language.
2) Each award has to have the name of the author and also a link to his or her blog to be visited by everyone.
3) Each award-winning, has to show the award and put the name and link to the blog that has given her or him the ward itself.
4) Award-winning and the one who has given the prize have to show the link of "Arte y Pico" blog, so everyone will know the origin of this award.
5) To show these rules.


Again:

Janice Thomson, Carver, Josie, Leslie, and Colin



This wonderful "BFF" Gold Card has been passed on to me by Mary, the Teach of Work of a Poet. Thank you, Mary, you are indeed a Best/Blogging Friend Forever!

There are just a couple of rules :

1. Tag 5 people.

2. 4 have to be dedicated followers of your blog

3. One has to be someone new or recently new to your blog and live in another part of the world.

4. You must link back to whoever gave you the award.

I'm going to choose some of the lady bloggers from Blogpower where we are very much outnumbered by the men, but we do lend each other support and friendship. Sorry all old friends but all in another part of the world from me! I never did follow the rules that strictly anyway.

So Welshcakes, Liz, Sally, Ellee and Lady Mac with a couple of spares in Nunyaa and Cherrypie.


Last but not least, the Blogpower roundup by Chervil is up. Enjoy.



20 comments:

Cathy said...

Well goodness jmb that's a lot going all wrong in a few days. You are about the 5-6 person who I know was locked out for that spam thing from blogger. They better hope that doesn't happen again, or a lot of people will be moving their blogs. The sitemeter news was interesting. I hadn't heard that one before.
Thank goodness it is all straightened out now. It had to be very frustrating.

Your awards are pretty unique and very well deserved. That Visa Gold Card award is a neat idea.

Nunyaa said...

Thank you JMB, although we do not seek awards it is wonderful to be recognised for what we do. thank you again :)

Katney said...

The Blogger issue was a worldwide glitch. I could not access any blogger blogs and I thought it was my laptop as I was traveling. I fortunately got an e-mail from a blogger friend whom I could ask (I don't keep an address book in my laptop), and then I was also able to get into dashboard to find that they were working on it. I never got the dreaded "you are a spammer" e-mail, but had the same effect plus not accessing anyone's blog.

I think the sitemeter thing was a side effect from that. Or else there was a separate glitch regarding sitemeter and blogger at the same time? I've never had any trouble with sitemeter and I do use IE.

mutleythedog said...

I am stunned I have an award!! Unlike nunyaa I have a fragile ego and covet awards - they are better than the medals Dick Dastardly always promised and failed to deliver!

Carver said...

Hi JMB,

I also ending up saving the blog months I hadn't saved yet, onto my hard disc. I started thinking, after what happened to you, that I really would want the option of recreating my blog in its entirety on another format if blogger ever deleted mine for some "clerical error". I'm sorry you had to deal with all of that.

Thank you so much for naming me for the Arte y Pico award. I appreciate it and you are certainly deserving of all the awards.

I hope your computer woes will end and it will be clear sailing from now on in this, and in second, life.

Shades said...

JMB, it is really easy to import posts from blogger to wordpress blogs, (both on .com and self- hosted) although the images remain deep within blogger of course. Many of my early posts simply show the old images as I didn't feel the need to close the old blog and shift all the pics.

Crushed said...

I have Firefox, so I was spared these problems, but I know someone else had problems getting in.

Award much appreciated and dutifully passed on :)

CherryPie said...

Thank You for thinking of me xx

Dr.John said...

If only the real life problems could be solved as easily as some of our computer problems.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Many thanks for the award, jmb.
I'm again full of admiration at your patience in putting things right, in SL for instance.

That sitemeter thing scared me to death and thank you again for telling me not to panic!

lady macleod said...

Oh jmb you're such a cyber-chick!

Thank you for the award and the 'card'. I shall handle that business toward the end of the week. And congratulations to you, well deserved!

CherryPie said...

I have just noticed on the blogger blog that they now have a blog back up feature in beta testing. When it is out of beta I think I will be using it!

sally in norfolk said...

Many thanks JMB nice surprise for me while I was catching up with blog reading after being on holiday :-)

Glad you got all your problems sorted too I know how stressful pc problems can be !

jmb said...

Hi Cathy, I am a trusting soul and know that eventually the "clever" people fix these things.

Hi Nunyaa, you're welcome. Somehow they all seem to come at once and then nothing for ages.

Hi Katney, I think sitemeter and blogger happened at the same time. Both are apologizing profusely for their part.

Well Mutley, I am glad you are pleased, put it in your sidebar with the rest.

Carver I do have the blog backed up with blogbackuponline but I think it is just meant to restore it to the same blog. Maybe not, I shall check.

Thanks Shades, I'll have to look into that. I don't want to move the blog at the moment just duplicate it at Wordpress.

Crushed I too am a dedicated Firefox user but it was brought to my attention anyway. You are very welcome and deserve the award.

You are welcome Cherrypie and I sent you an email about backup.

Dr John, we need the "clever" people to fix our lives as well as our computing systems.

YOu're welcome Welshcakes. I am a determined person and just keep persevering. Usually as I say the "clever" people take care of these things, like sitemeter.

Not really Lady Mac, just determined as I said. You are welcome and thank you.

You're welcome Sally, we BP women stick together pretty well. Hope you had a good vacation.
Thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting.
jmb

jams o donnell said...

Thanks jmb. I'm honoured!

Liz said...

Oh thank you, jmb! I appreciate that very much!

I do hope you don't have another blogging nightmare week like that again!

leslie said...

Oh gosh, thanks jmb - that's really great of you. I'll get to it in the next day or so. You HAVE been busy!

Sean Jeating said...

Smilingly and with great joy: Thank you, Mylady.

Colin Campbell said...

I have bestowed you with the Blogpower Blogger of the Week. This award is unique to you in that you are the next in line on the Blogpower Blogroll. No skill and consistent with Sean's thoughts. No need to link back or to find some poor unfortunates to give the award to. It will naturally progress next week to another deserving blogger.

Ruthie said...

This is probably a very dumb question, but how do you back up a blog to a hard drive?