Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Yes! The Mounties return the Rest of the Loot

Imagine my delighted surprise to sign onto to my email this morning and find a message from the Museum of Anthropology. Yes, the last two pieces by Bill Reid which were stolen from the Museum have been found and returned to them by the RCMP.



Object Title: Brooch*
Artist Maker: Bill Reid

Materials: Gold

Unfortunately while the gold eagle brooch was recovered intact, the carved argillite pipe below was recovered with approximately two inches of it broken off. But the search will continue for the missing piece. Those mounties never give up!




Object Title: Panel Pipe**
Artist Maker: Bill Reid
Materials: Argillite stone, lacquer



Photo from the MOA site

Sad to say that they will not be on display for some considerable time as the Museum is closing for six months on September 2nd for the final stage of their big renovation project. But on the bright side they are having a big closing party on the last day, with eats and drink and dancing to live music so I should go to that. My membership to the Museum has been extended for six months so I will not be losing out on that but I will miss going to visit, especially to get my fix of the Raven and the First Men and I will miss the shop which gets such a lot of my business when I am looking for gifts.

Photo * is from the UBC site,

Photo ** is from the RCMP in BC site.

11 comments:

Dragonstar said...

Well done the RCMP! With their record I'm sure you're right - they'll find the missing piece.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Carver said...

That's great news. I was so afraid from your last post about this that the gold one which was recovered with the first ones would have been melted down. That's fabulous the piece was recovered mostly intact.

Lord James Bigglesworth said...

Ah, well that's a relief.

Janice Thomson said...

Gosh that's wonderful!

Sean Jeating said...

Sometimes good news are good news. Quod erat demonstrandum. :)

jams o donnell said...

THat's great news jmb!

CherryPie said...

That is such good news :-)

leslie said...

That was such a terrible crime! But glad all is back, even though one piece damaged.

Eurodog said...

Some good news there,jmb.
Six months will go very quickly.

jmb said...

Thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting, I'm falling behind with answering my commenters. Sorry, you know I appreciate every one of you.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

So glad to hear that!