Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Could you get Lostin Austin?

I guess this post is mostly going to be of immediate interest to UK readers. Sorry people, but knowing the way TV productions often eventually find their way all over, maybe it will be a heads up for everyone else also.

Who likes Jane Austin Novels? If I asked for a show of hands I bet it would be pretty solid vote.

Well the UK’s ITV1 is screening a new series on Wednesday Sept 3rd (tomorrow). The high concept is ‘Ashes to Ashes’ meets ‘Pride and Prejudice’.

Now it depends on how well this is done, but it has good potential to be romantic fun.

For those who don’t know it ‘Ashes to Ashes’ is a UK TV series about a Naughties female cop who gets shot and somehow finds herself in the 1980s working with a curiously engaging, if rough and unreconstructed, Detective Gene Hunt. Is the rough etc. why he is so curiously engaging?

The poetically titled ‘Lost in Austin’ stars Gemma Arterton as Amanda Price, get it.. Mansfield Park... who just loves Jayne Austin novels and sooo longs for romance.

One day she finds a secret door that leads into her favourite ‘Austin’, ‘Pride and Prejudice’ and (forgetting all about modern dentistry, shampoo, conditioners, antibiotics, votes for women etc.), what girl could resist with thoughts of Mr Darcy, steps through it.

But what happens to the original story line when modern day Amanda Price is added to the mix…

I plan to catch it on TV and find out (and hope it delivers on some of it’s potential). Maybe you will too…

15 comments:

Dragonstar said...

Hmmm. I'll give that one a go if I get the chance. Could be very good, could be terrible. I'd like to find out, so thanks for the info!

Nunyaa said...

I loved Pride and Prejudiced...Pssst I even thought Mr Darcy was hot lol.

jmb said...

Ugh, are you saying this is another thing I would like to see which will say not available in your area? I should get you to tape it for me and send it except our systems are incompatible. I'll have to get one of those players which do both systems!
It sounds like a potential winner, but as you say it will depend so much on how it is done.

jams o donnell said...

It certainly does sound interesting jmb

Dr.John said...

If it is good we will get it on Public Television sometime in the future so keep us informed.

Carver said...

Thanks for the tip. I guess my best bet is if it shows up on public TV. We don't seem to get as much as we used to but maybe we'll get lucky. Sound intriguing.

Sienna said...

I am confident our ABC will get this, maybe down the line a bit, but it is excellent on these types of themes.

I love altered time zone stories, they fascinate me.

The Great Barrier Reef was amazing, I hadn't seen it for a while and I was delighted, it looked in good nick, lots of life and color and a beautiful 23 degrees. Saw dolphins, whales, a million type of fish, dugongs, birds, coral, turtles-just everything...The rainforests and islands and reef, were like a wonderful dream.

Then came back home and some rain has fallen and everything is so green, with more reasonable rain forecast.

Pam

leslie said...

This sounds like it could be amazing. I just got Telus TV so will have to check if I get that channel. I get so many now I can't keep track of them all!

leslie said...

This sounds like it could be amazing. I just got Telus TV so will have to check if I get that channel. I get so many now I can't keep track of them all!

Lord James Bigglesworth said...

Who is Lostin Austin, JMB?

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

All those who get to watch it, it your impressions would be good afterwards. Maybe you can re-comment.

To those like JMB who can’t get to see it right now, sorry for whetting your appetites when they can’t be satisfied. Maybe revenge for all those lovely Vancouver restaurants I keep hearing about, but can’t sample… Mwah-ha-haaaaaaaa!!!

Sienna, I love those stories too! Probably set up for it by “A Christmas Carol” and “It’s a Wonderful Life” as a kid. Now I just read a book you might like; “The Accidental Time Traveller” by Sharon Griffiths published by Avon ISBN 978-1-84756-090-2. I really enjoyed it, maybe I should do a review on it…

Lord James, Amanda Price is the one lost in Austin…

Janice Thomson said...

If it turns out good KCTS 9 is certain to snaffle it up having recently promoted and aired the whole Jane Austen series with particular emphasis on Pride and Prejudice.

sally in norfolk said...

shame i missed this as i might have liked it.

sally in norfolk said...

on itv catch up on internet so will be able to watch it after all :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hmm. It'll be about 3 years before I find out over here!