Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lunch with Liz and Leslie

Oh, oh. I'm falling down on the job of reporting on lunch with Liz from Wales and Leslie from Ladner, two days ago already. But I haven't really been home much in the past two days as I catch up with some friends whom I don't see so often. Leslie put up her report on lunch right away so puts me to shame, but here is mine, better late than never!


Leslie on the left, Liz on the right

While we did not have such a brilliant summer in Vancouver, I was really hoping for a lovely day for Liz's visit and sure enough the weather cooperated. I picked up Liz from her hotel, the luxury Pan Pacific which frankly has the best location in Vancouver, right on the water facing the mountains and is no slouch in the service and facilities department so I think she would have had a good impression of Vancouver from the word go.

But of course I wanted her to see my favourite place, Granville Island, so I had arranged to meet Leslie at Bridges restaurant, the yellow landmark on the island where you can eat out on their deck, right amongst the boats in the marina.

In the brilliant sunshine of the magnificent day, we sat outside and chatted away, none of us having met each other before but since we had been reading each other's blogs for quite a while it did not seem like meeting with strangers at all. Naturally one of the first questions was where was George. Well no doubt he is stretching the patience of the owners of the kennel where he is housed for the next two weeks as he does his Houdini act, but I am sure that Liz is delighted to have a rest from chasing him down and bringing him home.


Poor us, we had to sit and look at this view as we lunched.

I'm very sorry to say I did not take a photo of the main courses and we all had something different. I had a West Coast salad, Liz a crab and salmon burger and Leslie a smoked salmon and avocado sandwich. I did manage to get it together for dessert which we unanimously decided would be fresh berry shortcake, with blueberries and blackberries.

As we sat there enjoying this creation and having tea I said I think I'll just have a boiled egg for dinner, but suddenly remembered I was going to book club that night which includes dinner and of course my Sunken Grape cake for dessert. Sigh. How am I ever going to lose weight with this regime?


Beloved by locals and tourists alike, Bridges' deck is
wonderful place to enjoy a meal

Leslie had to leave early so Liz and I sat on the deck for a while longer until she had to return to her hotel to meet her husband and daughter and son-in-law since they planned to visit Grouse Mountain in the afternoon. So I dropped her back at the hotel after a very pleasant lunch and a wonderful visit with two blog friends.

I do hope the weather cooperates for the rest of her stay in Canada as she next visits Vancouver Island and then off to the Rockies, one of the most beautiful parts of the world to my mind.

Any more blog friends planning to visit Vancouver? I know it is the end of the earth but it is a very beautiful spot and I promise you lunch or dinner at Bridges. Lady Mac, Liz, you next?


16 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

One of these days, jmb! Meanwhile, you are always welcome in Sicily.

Those are wonderful photos of Liz and Leslie and of the views. Why none of you?!

Dragonstar said...

I would love to visit Vancouver! Ah well, I can dream ...
What a lovely place. It must have been so good to meet up with blogging friends.

leslie said...

It was the perfect day to sit out on the patio by the water! We had the best chat ever! And as jmb says, it wasn't like meeting strangers at all. I'm in for lunching with visitors from far and wide, just like jmb. :D

Carver said...

That sounds like a delightful lunch and great shots of the view. I'm still salivating after the picture of those blueberries and blackberries, YUM. I hope I'll make it to Vancouver one of these years. Everyone I know who has been to Vancouver has spoken very highly of it.

Dr.John said...

How lucky to meet fellow bloggers and have such a good time.

Nunyaa said...

Lovely photos, I think it all looks romantic. Mmmm dessert...yummy. Must be nice to catch up with friends in such a nice looking location :)
You never know JMB, one day I might arrive, do you all have river cruises your way?

CalumCarr said...

Jealous old me!!!!

Great photos as usual.

CherryPie said...

I would love to visit... need to save up ;-)

Looks like you all had a wonderful fun time :-)

PS: I know what you mean about the diet, I am struggling!

Donnetta Lee said...

Hello, jmb: I gained 2 pounds just reading this post! Everything looks very lovely. Good view, good food, good company. Nuttin' better than that!
Donnetta

Smalltown RN said...

Oh jmb...that's sounds so lovely...and the photos are great...so nice to see other bloggers meeting up....now you have met both Leslie and I and now I have to meet Leslie....

You mentioned it not being a very good summer....you know...I thought we had a fantastic summer.....I have worn shorts right up until this week....last weekend my girls were tanning themselves on the boat....guess you have to come spend some time over on the Island....

I haven't been to Granville Island in awhile...I love how you describe the area...you do Vancouver proud!

Vic Grace said...

What a lovely day and the dessert looks scrumptious. I will also be a grass widow as of tomorrow for 4 days and then again in October for two weeks but I haven't been able to think up any mischief to get into.

sally in norfolk said...

So lovely when we get to meet our blogging friends :-)

jmb said...

Hope that will be true Welshcakes. Maybe I'll get to Sicily again too.

Dragonstar, come on by. I like to meet up with blogging friends and find out what they are really like.

It was lovely Leslie. Any excuse to sit on Bridges deck is a good one.

I think you would have lots of photo ops here Carver and I would love to meet you.

It was fun Dr John.

No river cruises but lots of cruises to Alaska start here and that is a once in a lifetime experience.

Thanks Calum but you live in a lovely spot too. Can be a bit grim weatherwise but so beautiful.

Save your pennies and pounds Cherie and come have lunch with me.

Hi Donnetta, nothing better indeed.

I hope we see you again sometime in Vancouver Mary Anne. I thought July was not good but August was great.

Well Vic Grace, apart from eating out too much I too am short of real mischief.

It is fun Sally and you get to meet some of yours too.

Thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting.

jams o donnell said...

It's so nice to meet internet friends. I had a wonderful time in Paris with my artist friend Elahe

Sienna said...

Beautiful pictures of a wonderful looking city, great company and that berry shortcake looks miiiighty fiiiine.

Actually it reminds me of a cafe on the Hervey Bay pier in Queensland.

What a great day.

Pam

Katney said...

Vancouver is not the end of the earth if you live in Central Washington. Some day! Some day! Your picture of dessert mirror's Leslie's and all three of you must have been hungry as no pictures of the entrees were taken at all?