Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Farewell Lunch

Recently it seems that my social life consists of going out for lunch. It is that time of the year, when we, who have lunch together every Thursday anyway, seem to take it in turn to host the group at our houses and go all out.

Of course we are gearing up to bidding farewell to our visiting ScotAussie or AussieScot whom we will certainly miss as part of our group. So this week ten of us gathered in the home of one of our German members, J, who is a very fine chef. Unfortunately it was her maid's day off so we had to help with serving. Just kidding, she doesn't have a maid but she always says this with a big laugh.

I took lots of photos of the attendees but you don't get to see those. However you do get to see the food. Well OK, you get to see the lovely smiling face of our ScotAussie since she has appeared here before.


The first course was a perfectly delicious squash and apple soup, the recipe for which our hostess said she had obtained on a cruise she took.



Seafood crepes are perfect for lunch, not too heavy, although this was a French recipe and it was rather rich. Garlic bread and salad were the accompaniments.


Did I say that J is a very good cook? Well how about this dessert for the pièce de résistance? Pavlova, almost everyone's favourite dessert. Well if not favourite it is certainly near the top of the list and deservedly so. Our ScotAussie contributed the fact that Pavlova is said to have been originally served by a hostess in Kalgoorlie, although as she said what on earth a world famous ballerina was doing in a outback mining town known for gold and prostitutes she had no idea. Of course there is great controversy between Australia and New Zealand as to the creator of the dessert. While it did appear firstly in a New Zealand cookbook, we Aussies are not having any of that and continue to lay claim to Pavlova. I must admit that is the first time I had heard the Kalgoorlie story.


The birthday candles were there since we have three Scorpios in our group. Myself and my twin and the third, an intrepid 86 year old, could not be with us today as she was feeling unwell.

All in all it was a very enjoyable occasion: good food, good wine (so I'm told) and good friends, with lots of laughter.

Now tomorrow I'm taking off for New York, well just outside the city, to spend Thanksgiving with my daughter and family. Yes I am celebrating Canadian and American Thanksgiving this year so I get to cook two turkeys. Lucky me. Naturally I am taking my laptop with me and plan to continue blogging here but blog visiting will probably be lighter than usual, so I hope you will forgive me. I'll be looking for new blog fodder but of course I get to be grandmother for a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to that. I can't believe she is now in school.

So take care and behave yourselves while I am gone.




7 comments:

Tuscan Tony said...

Delicious pics: have a good trip.

CherryPie said...

The Pavlova looks delicious. I hope you enjoy your trip :-)

Janice Thomson said...

Have a fun trip and good time with your family JMB!

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

That food looks yummy.

Sean Jeating said...

Bon voyage.

Ellee Seymour said...

Enjoy Thanksgiving. I would love to go one, let alone too.

Liz said...

Have a wonderful time, grandma!