Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembrance Day ---- Poppy Day 2008




We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae


John McCrae was a Canadian doctor who served in the First World War and in honour of his friend he wrote this very famous poem, In Flanders Field, which is commonly used on this day, November 11th, when we remember those who have died while fighting for their country. Click on the link to read it in full.

Last year the Political Umpire of Fora, who has given up blogging for the moment but whose blog lives on, wrote a series of posts about the First World War which I found extremely informative and different to boot. Reading them again I can still recommend them. It begins here, followed by Parts II, III, IV, V, and VI.

Last week, many people posted Peace Globes. Maybe, one day, there will be no more wars. Even then we must never forget those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.


Lest we forget


9 comments:

Nunyaa said...

I can never imagine the horror men and women went through, there are no winners in any war.

Janice Thomson said...

Lovely tribute JMB. That poem In Flanders Fields strikes a chord with one and all both for its simplicity and flow yet for its deep message as well.

CherryPie said...

A lovely tribute :-)

Dr.John said...

Thank you for remembering. I didn't. I should have. I had relatives who served in World War II.
Again thank you.

jams o donnell said...

A beautiful tribute

Carver said...

Great post for Remembrance Day. I so hope one day there will no longer be any wars and also agree that even then the sacrifices of veterans and those lost to war should never be forgotten.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Nicely put. If war can be avoided it should be, sometimes it can't be. We can't know the future so can never know for sure, if we do go to war, what the consequences of not going to war might have been. Nor really the consequences of not going to war if we do.

I know it should be seen as a grave thing. I know those that fight and die for us are very worthy of our respect and should never be forgotten.

Greater love hath no man...

Eurodog said...

I posted the poem In Flanders Field on my blog yesterday. It has nothing to do with dogs but the First World War was one of the most gruesome wars in our recent history and of course my country was very deeply affected. I visited the cemeteries in Flanders and Northern France and they are unbelievable beautiful and peaceful. A moving experience. I plan to go to Verdun soon.
Have a nice day, jmb.

Ellee Seymour said...

Yes, I remembered. I was at St Pancreas Station in London and a brass band was playing.