Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Number II

Thanksgiving is celebrated earlier in Canada than in the United States. So I cooked a turkey with all the trimmings in October. But this year we were also with my daughter and her family for American Thanksgiving.

She is married to an Italian and he is the family chef and although he has lived in the USA for nineteen years certain dishes have not yet become traditional for him. So the Thanksgiving dinner we ate last Thursday was a little different.


The first course was a mushroom risotto with quail.


This was followed by stuffed turkey breast with cranberry sauce (made by me as the chef had never even tasted cranberry sauce before), pancetta (don't ask) and boiled leeks with a delicious sauce.


For any Italian wine is a very important part of any meal so on offer was a 2003 Pinot Noir from New Zealand with the odd name Box o' Birds plus a French chablis to wash it all down.


We joined friends for dessert at their house and we contributed the French Apple Tart above made by my daughter while I baked the Pumpkin Pecan Ricotta Cheesecake seen below.


I hope that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving meal as much as we did.



12 comments:

Sometimes Saintly Nick said...

What a magnificent (and tasty) Thanksgiving meal! Thanks for sharing it with me.

Expat Traveler said...

Now that looks incredible! I want the dessert!!!! I mean like right now for breakfast.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It all looks wonderful, especially the desserts.

Dragonstar said...

It sounds very different, but delicious. Can I try that cheesecake please?

Dr.John said...

That does look like a great meal.

Vic Grace said...

The first picture looks a bit dubious but the rest looks really good. I would try the first though I like to try everything at least once.

Janice Thomson said...

Ohhh the cheesecake looks scrumptious!

MedStudentWife said...

yum yum yumyum !!!

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

This all looks very yummy. But why wouldn't wine be important with such an important family meal? It always needs some good wine, both red and white. ^_^ Sensible guy.

Liz said...

Oh, yes, i enjoyed that, thank you.

jmb said...

Glad you enjoyed it Nick. We certainly did.

It is a great dessert Expat. For breakfast? Maybe not.

Thanks Welshcakes, it was great.

Not traditional in many ways Dragonstar, just a few token things.

Thanks Dr John, hope yours was great too.

Actually my first time for quail too Vic Grace, it was fine.

It is Janice, even if I do say so myself.

Hey MSW! A good meal in all.

Well Moggs for me the wine is not at all important but for my Italian SIL it is the most important part of any meal.

You're welcome Liz.

Thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting.

Colin Campbell said...

Interesting twist. How many quails per person? Happy Canadian Thanksgiving JMB, late as it is. What do Canadians actually celebrate at that time?