Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Lunch at my House ---Thursday Walking Group

You would think that people who have lunch together every Thursday after walking would not do a special Christmas luncheon but it's a long time tradition and it has been at my house for the past three years. This year some people were away and some had more pressing commitments but last Thursday whoever could come gathered together to celebrate our friendship and the Christmas season.


Welcome to my house for the annual Thursday Walking Group Christmas Luncheon

Only ten this year so we could all fit at one table instead of
the sixteen we had last year



Would you like a glass of wine or sparkling mineral water?


It is a pot-luck affair but I did not get photos of some of the things in the confusion
Tabbouli, one of my contributions and a personal favourite
as well as being easy to prepare


My seafood quiches, a little overdone you could say, but absolutely delicious
anyway. Shrimp and crab, another favourite.

Others brought garden salad and I added these healthy nibbles
Sorry no photos of the salads

We always remember C at this time of year since the Christmas
luncheon was the last time we saw her before she died
ten days later.
Someone brought her Sunken Grape Cake for dessert.



Ambrosia Cake with Grand Marnier was another dessert contribution
by a group member.

Of course there is always a story connected to any event. This one involved my Turkish friend who was very ill on the day but she had promised to bring a salad. She called to tell me and said she was sending a cab with all the salad ingredients which were in sealed containers from the store, along with olive oil, a lemon and a lime and a Christmas stollen. Unfortunately she had left her cell phone in the bag and she asked me to send the cab driver back with it to her house. I said that she should not have bothered since we always have too much food. But she said a promise is a promise and this is just the way she is. She is someone you can always count on and she always offers her help whenever and wherever she can. So all I had to do was put the salad together at the last minute. Thank you so much T and we hope you are well again soon.

Also among those missing this year was our sometime member from Moscow. Every year for quite a few years she has accompanied her physicist husband who comes to work at TRIUMF, Canada's national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics here at the University of British Columbia. Usually they come twice a year, Spring and Fall and they leave to go back around Christmas so she is usually with us for our Christmans luncheon. But sadly not this year. It seems that it was not possible for them to come at all this year and we hope that they will be back next year. She had sent us each a card and we all said we hoped to see her soon.

N at the Christmas luncheon several years ago

It was a very happy occasion and thanks to all those who contributed to make it such a successful event and somehow we ended up with more unopened wine than was drunk which made the Old Scientist happy too, even though he had dental surgery on that day. Poor thing he was rather neglected in his misery but he survived.

Since we are under three or four inches of snow we won't be walking together until after the New Year when we will definitely need the exercise to get rid of some of the excesses of the Christmas season.


16 comments:

CherryPie said...

Wow the most I have ever managed at one table was 11!

Dr.John said...

It's good to have a nice group like that. The food looked pretty good too.

Crushed said...

Now that's a Christmas meal!

I'm going over to my Mum and Dad's. I was a little nervous because my brother won't be there this year, leaving me all on my own.

But actually, things are pretty good. On that front, anyway.

Sometimes Saintly Nick said...

Magnificent! I really wish I had been there!

Christmas blessings!

Janice Thomson said...

Looks like a beautiful luncheon JMB. The dishes look scrumptious. What a neat tradition.

Vic Grace said...

It looks lovely, I remember the sunken grape cake I believe you mentioned it last year. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

JMB, A real feast. I am sitting looking at the pics and feeling hungry.

It surely shows impressive organisational and culinary skills to put that lot together.

Dragonstar said...

That all looks so delicious! I know I should say other things, but the food goes straight to my heart.
You must have had a great time.

mutleythedog said...

Rituals like this are so important I think...

Gracchi said...

Looks delicious!

Tuscan Tony said...

That looks like a great and wonderful feast - a happy Christmas to you all from Tuscany.

Heart of Rachel said...

That's a wonderful tradition that you keep. I like your table setting and those dishes look so yummy.

Colin Campbell said...

Unbelievable amounts of work. I struggled to pull together a chicken salad tonight. Ho Ho Ho all the same JMB.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Cheerful table, jmb. Love that grape cake! How sweet of T to send the salad ingredients round. Glad you all had a great time.

-eve- said...

Ohh... wonderful pictures...! I can really feel the cheer, looking at them :-)

Matt Wardman said...

Late visitor ... hope there's some left.