Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Just when you thought it was safe... The book Meme II, according to Miss Moggs

What was the last book you bought?

I bought several at the same time. One foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost, that I have not read yet. Categorised as a Paranormal Romance. Wife in the North by Judith O'Reilly, Chick Lit? Again not read yet. Sister Time by John Ringo and Julie Cochrane, Science Fiction, No Not read either. Prey, by Melina Morel, Paranormal Romance, Not either. The Merchant's War, by Charles Stross, Fantasy, Yayy read it!

I guess you figured I often buy a whole bunch of books at a time and keep a stock to choose my next read from, depending on my mood..


Name a book you have read more than once.


Well there are quite a few. Here is a selection: Mythago Wood; The boy next door; Earth Abides; Persuasion; Farmer in the Sky; Clan of the Cave Bear; The Physician; Chase the Morning; Time and again (both books of that title); A Christmas Carol; Permutation City.

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life?


Yes. I guess several in fact, or strongly influenced how I thought. There are the big ones like The New Testament; Origin of the species, etc. But I don't think the question is about them, I figure they influence most of us directly, or indirectly, along with others, like the Wealth of Nations and Das Capital.

Books that probably fit the intent of the question better are: The Meme Machine by Susan Blackmore and That's not what I meant! by Deborah Tannen and I guess curiously The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith. Also two, or possibly three, one I can't remember the title read years apart but are lumped together in my mind: Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott and The Planiverse by A. K. Dewdney.


How do you choose a book, eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews?

I guess everything really. I look at forth-coming publication lists every now and again to get an idea of what is coming out. Authors I read before I pay special attention to. I take reviews with a pinch of salt until I can figure if the reviewer has similar tastes to me, both with books and movies. I hang out in book stores checking the lists and new titles. I am influenced by the cover art but more by the summary.

Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction?

Depends on my mood, but more often fiction.

What's more important in a novel - beautiful writing or, a gripping plot?

A good story line that trips along, Good ideas, original concepts. I like a book that makes me think about it a bit after reading it. For fiction, a satisfying ending, usually happy where any baddies see the light... or get it, The heroine gets her guy... And the goodies come out on top.

Most loved / memorable character
Lots of them, some that stand out: Paksenarian; Podcayne; Honour Harrington; Friday (the girl of the book of the same name, not as in Robinson Crusoe), Kris Longknife; Captain Wentworth... Sigh, Lazarus Long.

Which book, or books, can be found on your night stand at the moment?
None. I don't read in bed unless I am ill.

What was the last book you read and when was it?

Legacy - The Sharing Knife, by Lois McMaster Bujold, Fantasy, last week.

Have you ever given up on a book half way through?

Yes. If it gets too turgid, or I think, “This was a mistake”. Why waste valuable lifetime on a book you are not getting anything out of when you already wasted the money I figure. Learn when not to throw good money after bad I say. Last one for me was Irreversible, billed as an action romance. Maybe we were not simpatico. Maybe I was swayed by the cover.


7 comments:

jmb said...

Gosh Miss Moggs, you cover a totally different spectrum from me.

Or at least I have not heard of so many of these books. Still one can never have too many good book recommendations.

I don't do science fiction or fantasy, but my family does so I shall pass the ones in these categories along.

Crushed said...

I gave up on Westward Ho! by Charles Kingsley. It made my blood boil.

LOTR, read about ten times, literally. The Three Musketeers series, about three or four times, same with the Count of Monte Christo. Several others at least twice. Non-fiction, of course one prob has read several, several times over just not cover to cover. One only does that first time round.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I was going to say more or less what you have said, jmb!

CherryPie said...

I have loved to see your thoughts on this Meme. I can't believe you don't read books in bed!!!!

Dr.John said...

Interesting meme and answers.
I also like to keep a bunch of books around so I can pick and choose.
Our reading habits are very different, however.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

One thing. I do read more factual stuff than it may seem from this. But they are just to satisfy curiosity, or find stuff out, so I am generally less emotionally involved.

Cherry Pie, I generally fall asleep within 5 minutes of my head hitting the pillow, unless something else is occupying my attention ^_^, so no need to read in bed to go sleepy byes and I actually prefer to sit up to read.

JMB/Welshcakes/Dr John, As with movies, I don't really like serious psychological novels, or ones that explore the misery of life and how mean people can be, etc. I figure life can be horrible enough. So my fiction, as i said, I prefer to be nice. The nasty stuff is generally confined to the more serious non-fiction factual books.

Crushed, You know my opinion on the readability of LOTR, a matter of taste I guess. I can't argue they were not brilliantly researched and full of wonderful imagination. Also with CS Lewis. Just I found them a bit of a chore, the writing kept jangling.

It is interesting how reading habits/tastes do vary.

sally in norfolk said...

Well as you should know I dont read much these days and have tons of books only half read as i loose interest in them..... but I do happen to be reading a book at the moment , one recommended by jbm, called "what the psychic told the pilgrim" and i am enjoying it too. :-) I also have " dear fatty " to read wich is a biography by Dawn french.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dear-Fatty-Dawn-French/dp/1846053447