Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Year's Dinner -- Ten Days Late

For many years we have had the same friends to dinner on New Year's Day. They were neighbours when we lived in our first house in Vancouver but we moved to this house 31 years ago and after a while they too moved to another area. But our friendship remained strong and we always celebrated the New Year together on this day at our house, in former years with our children too.

Sadly the husband died a few years years ago but with the wife and a single friend who joined this celebration somewhere along the way, we have continued the tradition of having dinner at our house. Not this year however, due to the snow. Three times we scheduled it and three times we were thwarted by the weather. The last time it was lucky that we did, for we had a nine hour power cut at our house, starting at the dinner hour. Wouldn't that have been fun, with guests? No power to cook and a freezing house to boot.

But finally yesterday, January 10th, we had our celebration. I kept the Christmas decorations and lights in place and even the tree, long past its "best by" date, which amazed them since both had taken down theirs. We even exchanged Christmas presents, long past even the Eastern Orthodox Christmas and yes I still have some which have not been distributed.


Prosciutto e Melone, as appetizer. Yes I know this is really a
summer delight but I love this simple combination at
any time of the year

Prime rib roast with mushrooms and gravy

Potatoes Romanov, a tradition for this meal as is the
prime rib roast

Vegetables, minimalist style, with chopped chives

Trifle with fresh strawberries and cointreau, another tradition
for dessert

Although I was very tempted to serve the Christmas pudding which I made a month ago and is still sitting in my refrigerator. But once again tradition won out. For some reason when I have changed this menu there has been an outcry, so since it makes it easier for me I just go with the flow. Besides the pudding is just getting better, like a fruit cake. Perhaps we'll have it for Australia Day or ?

I don't know why over the many years we have been married we have never before acquired a simple decanter for red wine. We changed to large red wine glasses long ago but no decanter. My Italian son-in-law always uses one for red wine, so desperate for ideas I bought the "old scientist" this Italian set for a Christmas present. He christened it with an Australian Shiraz from the Margaret River region in Western Australia. For a teetotaler I seem to spend a lot time and money pursuing alcoholic beverages and accoutrements. Oh well, he's worth it!



15 comments:

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

It looks like a true feast!

Different traditions still make me think for a moment. As a child our family always had a repeat of Christmas lunch for the new year, with all the trimmings.

These days I generally don't mark New Year's day particularly at all, Just new Year's Eve, with a party or at least a raised glass.

sally in norfolk said...

sounds great and so nice to have friends round after christmas too.. your still celebrating and christmas has long been forgotton here... :-)

rlbates said...

Wow, looks like it was worth the wait!

Sometimes Saintly Nick said...

I am suddenly terribly hungry. Just a small plate of Potatoes Romanov and prime rib roast would do.

lady macleod said...

Love the wine set! What a dinner, very elegant - but then - it's YOU isn't it? to be expected....

Crushed said...

New Year USED to be March 25th though..

So maybe you were early? ;)

CherryPie said...

It looks like it was well worth the wait. That wine set looks fab too!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'm so glad that you have finally had your celebration! The food looks wonderful.

Dr.John said...

I would have absolutely loved that meal.

Carver said...

What a great tradition with your friends and your meal looked so delicious. Glad you finally were able to have it late.

Vic Grace said...

What a lovely meal and to have kept your friendship alive all these years is special too.

jmb said...

Thanks Moggs, it was delicious, even after the roast spending some time in the freezer.

We actually never did get to celebrate Christmas Sally, but New Year yes.

It was Ramona.

All gone I'm afraid Nick.

Not so much elegant as harried. In my next life I want a maid Lady Mac.

That's a thought Crushed. Shall I do it again in March?

Thanks Cherie, I thought the wine set rather a good idea too.

Thanks Welshcakes, it was a long time coming.

Dr John, it was simple in some ways but delicious anyway.

Better late than never Carver I guess. It did seem a little odd with the Christmas tree still up.

Thanks Vic Grace, they are good friends so easy to keep in touch with often.

Thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting.

~PakKaramu~ said...

Pak Karamu visiting your blogspot

Liz said...

Like you I spend a lot of time in drink shops!

I'm glad you finally had your celebration. Some traditions are just meant to be and it all looks lovely.

Potatoes romanov? I shall have to google that.

MedStudentWife said...

Happy belated 2009!! JMB

Dinner looks so yummy .

Who knows - you may have started a new tradition about having New Years dinner almost 2 weeks late. I think a great way to keep some of the festivities into the blah days of January.