Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Review of Inkheart, the movie

Well the holidays are over and it's back to normal. While I was off though I managed to get in some real life “out and abouts”. One thing was to go to the movies to see Inkheart.

It is based on the first book in a trilogy by German Authoress Cornelia Funke. It is one of those Movies that are good for adults and kids alike. You don't need to take kids either ^_^.

It is difficult to decide just what to say about it without spoiling things as it unfolds rather cleverly and ideas and bits of plot are revealed to best effect as it progresses.

It is set in Europe and has a European feel. This movie does not try to do Disney, it has an interesting darker feel. Mortimer Folchart played by Brendan Frazer a book binder/restorer and his daughter Meggie Folchart played by Eliza Bennet move around a lot.

It quickly develops that Frazer has been searching for a particular book “Inkheart” for years. Also that Frazer's wife has been missing under mysterious circumstances since Meggie was a small girl. Their lives are about to change, the mobile status quo of their lives over the last few years is about to change.

Some well recognisable faces were in it, Brendan Fraser, Helen Mirren, Jim Broadbent and Paul Bettany to name a few.

A mysterious character, Dustfinger (Brendan Fraser), approaches Mortimer. They have a confrontation over a copy of the book Inkheart in an alpine village that Meggie witnesses. It gradually becomes clear that Mortimer's relationship with books is “unusual” and that Dustfinger may in fact be a character off the pages of the book...

It has a bit of everything, including plenty of action. I enjoyed it.

15 comments:

Katney said...

Thank you for the review. I have one question which I hope you will address. Have you read the book? That sometimes makes a difference in how a person perceived a movie.

An example, the current animated movie Tale of Despereaux is based on a beloved children's novel by Kate DiCamillo. Both children and adults who have read the booka re very disappointed in it, but those who haven't love it.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It does seem intriguing. I will look out for this one.

CherryPie said...

It sounds very interesting.

Dr.John said...

Never heard of the movie until I read it here. Sounds interesting.

Crushed said...

By Eliza Bennet, I guess you mean the actress who PLAYED Eliza Bennet? The name escapes me, but she was cute.

Jennifer Ehles! Was that who you meant?

Do you remember the Box of Delights?

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Thank you all for your comments. I enjoyed it. I think any of you that see it probably will also.

Katney, No, though I do read a lot, I did not read the books. The first I heard of the author was when I became aware of the Movie.

My experience of movies I previously read the novel they were based on is generally not positive. They usually change details of the book, leave stuff out, make stuff up, maybe even having a different ending. Also stuff that works well in books is not always so easily conveyed in movies.

I figure sometimes a good book can make a good, but different, movie. Sometimes a not very readable book can make a good movie. I think the Harry Potter ones are good books making good movies.

One of my biggest disappointments was the movie they made of Clan of the Cave Bear by JM Auel. I love that book. I read it several times. The movie though? It didn’t work at all for me.

Crushed, No, that was her name in the credits. I figure if your name is Bennett, or something similar, it might be hard to resist if you have a daughter and are an Austin fan. Like ham and eggs they seem to go together ^_^

I didn’t remember Box of delights TV series consciously till you mentioned it, now I bring it to mind, Christmassy kids sort of thing. Scary how long ago and far away that was...

I do like stories that play with concepts like this though.

MindyLew said...

Sounds like a good movie - never heard of it though. I am new at this "blogging" - Thank you for stopping by!!!

DARWEN REPORTER said...

I like a movie that has a good solid plot with lots of twists and turns

Gledwood said...

Hi! Hope 2009 is going well for you...

;->...

I haven't seen a good film at the picturehouse for AGES..!!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I like dark. Sounds very interesting indeed. Thanks for the review.

Dragonstar said...

The film sounds good. I've read Funke's "Dragon Rider", and I'd like to see that made into a film, but I don't know the "Inkheart" books - yet!

Katney said...

I agree with Dragonstar--Funke's Dragon Rider would also make a good movie if made right. She is an excellent author. Her books are meant for young people, but they are well written and complex enough for us "older chidren" as well.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

I do hope you all enjoy it if you go see it.

Now maybe I should try to find the Dragon Rider book, I guess these have nothing to do with the Dragon Riders of Pern books.

Katney said...

The movie finally opened here, and we saw it tonight. It has been a couple of years since I read the book, so if it varied from the details, I wouldn't remember. (Perhaps that is a secret to seeing a movie of a book you have read--allow some time to elapse.) It definitely was true to the spirit of the book. There were some fun details to the visuals that could not have been done int he book but certainly enhanced it. My husband enjoyed it as well, and was not familiar with the story.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Katney, I am really glad you both enjoyed it. I think you have got a point, the book should not be too fresh in your mind.

You are also right that the two different mediums have different strengths and weaknesses and allow different things