Sunday, February 22, 2009

Rezday Guurrrl

Does anyone remember the movie Tron? I think it is maybe the first time the word "rez" first entered every day vocabulary. Though I think De-Rez was used more when the Characters got “killed” Rez and De-Rez are short for resolve and de resolve. That is to do with computers displaying things where they resolve on the display.

In Second Life (SL) the term Rez means much the same. You “Rez” or create objects. You Rez at a new location and the location rezzes for you.

"I have not rezzed yet" can mean I have not yet appeared properly, or maybe also that the site is not rezzed for a person yet after their arrival, and they cant see anything, or anyone fully yet.

The first time you ever appear within SL is the first time you ever rezzed. Your Rez Day.

The anniversary is your Rez Day, like a birthday is in Real Life (RL).

Except that SL is quite fluid in some ways. Much can change. So time seems to go faster, like cat and dog years maybe ^_^

Something else to remember here. SL is an international sort of place and “suffers” (if you can call it that) from day stretching/scrunching.

Like you can't be sure that the person you are speaking to is living in the same day as you. Because of time zones it might be yesterday for them, while it is today for you, or tomorrow for them, when it is today for you. Go figure.

So to the main point of this post. It was my Rezday the other day. Now I had completely forgotten because of the cat years ^_^

The first I knew of it was when a SL “pen pal” IM'd me to wish me a happy Rezday. I was touched he remembered. I met him just after I joined SL, he was new too and we have kept in touch by IM, though very seldom see each other. He was out dancing with a lady friend when he called as he noticed I was in SL.

That is a good thing about SL, you can have multiple conversations, once you learn to do it it is great. A better, wider, more versatile way of communicating. it has benefits in RL too.

So back to the thread, I figured he was a bit early, but the thought is what counts.

I didn't think much more of it or that anyone else would know, but yesterday my very best SL friend “P” sprung a surprise party on me. She got me a lovely pink cake with candles and a dress and new skin and all.

She went to some trouble. It was so thoughtful. We had a lovely time. I still feel good about it. *grinzzz*

10 comments:

jmb said...

Happy Rezday Miss Moggs. I don't even know my Rezday. I joined SL to go to a special occasion for Blogpower and then did not go there again for about 9 months.

I remember the first time I heard the word rez. I was sent an invitation to attend a Faerie Ball in SL. The host said just rez it. What the heck? What does that mean? Even after his casual (incomplete) explanation, I did not have a clue. Since I could not attend anyway it sat in my inventory untouched.

Finally someone else explained the concept to me in very simple terms and I have never looked back. The first time is the hardest since you have no idea what it signifies in SL. But do it once and the penny drops.

I am very careful when I explain it to some newbie since I remember how confused I was.

Crushed said...

Do you remember Krull???

I was about five when that came out...
Class film...

I know what you mean about multiple conversations, I do it all the tinme online. I'm actually talking to someone in IM now as I do this, then I'm off to answer e-mails. I have at times, conducted up to four totally separate conversations online. And I agree, it's a better, wider and more versatile way of communicating.

Donnetta Lee said...

jmb: Rezday? Gee, I wonder if I've ever had one?? D

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

JMB, Thank you. you can look up your Rezday on your profile.

It is a problem that the meaning can sort of depend on context. But it all derives from something being created or appearing in some way. Not as complicated as their/there/they're though ^_^

Crushed, No I don't remember that movie, I have never seen it. I had to google it to find out the reason. I had a vague idea it was a computer game. I am sure you will consider me a complete philistine, but I have no plans to see it any time soon. Still I figure you will not think this is as bad as not being mad about Lord or the Rings ^_^

Donnetta, I guess you won't have a Rezday, unless you join or have joined Second Life. or something similar. Otherwise you'll have to make do with just a Birthday ^_^

Ellee Seymour said...

I haven't heard of the film. It all seems to be going on in SL for you then, we don't have much to do with it in the UK.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Ellee, Neither film was Oscar material. I only mention Tron for the word Rez.

As far as your impression of not having much to do with sl in the UK, maybe it is the circles you move in are not into it? There are plenty of people from the UK in sl based on the people I meet.

Dr.John said...

If only on my birthday I could get a new skin and turn in the wrinkles.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Dr John, in rl? You and me both! ^_^ plus probably everyone else...

Only in sl though. *sigh*

Liz said...

It's no good: I don't 'get' Second Lilfe!

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Liz, If you need anything explaining about it, ask JMB or me.