Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Baby Quilt finds a Home

In my day I have made quite a few quilts and I have taken many quilting courses over the years. But now I only seem to make baby quilts, small projects which can be finished in a relatively short time. Sometimes I make them for a specific baby and sometimes I just make them for fun.

At my age you don't get to attend many baby showers since most of my friends' children have completed their families, mostly being in their forties. On the other hand women are having children later in life as they first establish careers after long years in university. My own daughter did not have a child until she was 36 and many of her friends were late entries into motherhood. So occasionally I make a quilt for one of her friends and recently one of her single friends adopted a little girl from Guatemala so another opportunity arose to make a quilt.



The front of the quilt

However yesterday I was invited to an afternoon tea given by a friend for her daughter, a lawyer, who is married to an Italian, lives in Italy and is expecting her first child. It was a big event, probably 50 or more women and while many knew her daughter there were some who did not, which included me. My friend asked that one should only bring as a gift a piece of advice written on a card for the new mother. Of course many people ignored that, not the advice bit but the no gift bit, including me.

The back of the quilt

On hand, I had only one finished quilt, one with which I was not totally satisfied as a baby quilt. I loved the fabrics, the discontinued felines and dogs series by Laurel Burch, but did not have very much of them, so I could only make a small quilt. It has been finished for ages but I could never quite give it to anyone as I wondered about it as a baby quilt, but I decided it was now or never. What do you think? Too edgy for a baby?

Click to enlarge and see the amazing detail in the fabric.

11 comments:

Dr.John said...

Looks like a great baby quilt.

Janice Thomson said...

I think it's quite fetching JMB - it would make a unique baby quilt.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I think it's beautiful. Lucky baby!

Berni aka Vic Grace said...

Nice and not all those pastels, I like baby things to have lots of bright colour

Katney said...

Perfect for baby. They see those bright colors first. I love Laurel Burch. My gym bag is Laurel Burch. Baby will love Laurel Burch, too.

Carver said...

I think that makes a wonderful baby quilt. I would have been thrilled to get something like that for my baby. Very unique and beautiful.

I didn't realize you were a quilter. I did a lot of quilting years ago. I even had a home based business early in my marriage called Carver Quilts. I did quilted pillows with samples of handwoven wools that my sister got for a store she used to own as well as quilts for beds.

I'll admit that trying to have a quilting business took out the fun. The last large quilt I made was a king sized one I did to order back in the early 1980s. My final quilt was my daughter's baby quilt in 1985, although I did make a few friends baby quilts as gifts prior to that. I no longer have the patience for sewing of any kind.

I think it's great that you continue to make them and I know the recipients of your generosity are thrilled to have them.

sally in norfolk said...

i think its wonderful....they will be thrilled with it espcially as its home made :-)

CherryPie said...

Lovely :-)

rlbates said...

Lovely!

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

I loved the cats, varied and amusing.

I can see the quilt is a thrifty way to use material that would practically be offcuts otherwise, turning them into something useful and interesting.

My Grandmother made them, my Mother made them. I must confess a gap in my 'skills base' I have never made one. Tho' I guess I could probably could if I had to.

Liz said...

Perfect for a baby. Bright colours and shapes to catch baby's eye. Lovely.