Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tube Announcements

I guess I may have mentioned the London Tube before...

Well it struck me today just how inane some of their announcements really are. I was at a major Station today when they were telling us about the impact of engineering works on the service.

They said “Due to necessary engineering work”... I think they might have mentioned it was “planned” too.

I wondered. Did they tell us that it was necessary to distinguish it from the pointless and unnecessary sort of engineering work, that they (by implication) might be harassing us with from time to time? Like this time it was really necessary.

I mean why say it that way? If they hadn't used the word necessary I would have assumed any Engineering work they did was necessary. Not just done on a whim for a laugh.

12 comments:

jmb said...

Mmm. Sometimes these things just strike one, don't they? You have me thinking I must watch what I say more carefully.

Sherry said...

That's interesting. Yes, one would think all engineering that is done is necessary. Otherwise, why do it?

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

JMB and Sherry, Exactly! You absolutely get it.

Carver said...

Good point. Sometimes when I see necessary, or when someone says "really" I assume it's not necessary or real.

CherryPie said...

Ahh the dreaded engineering works the bane of any traveler.

Smalltown RN said...

Ditto re the "necessary"...if it wasn't then why do it in the first place....even mentioning it is "necessary" makes one a tad
nervous. Leting me know servicing is being done should suffice.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Small Town RN, Hmnnn.. Like necessary as in "really urgent" "almost too late" sort of thing as opposed to normal stuff.

Slightly worrying thought but I figure it maybe more like those warnings on packets of nuts that say "May contain nuts".

Cherrypie ^_^

Carver, a point.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

It's an interesting use of language and it does lead one to suspect that the work is being done "on a whim" , as you say!

Donnetta Lee said...

One of those redundant terms. American TV is full of it! Redundancy, I mean. And you wouldn't believe the commercials we have. One after the other after the other....D

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Donetta, Oh I so would believe you, seeing is believing. I figure we could do a whole post on ads alone ^_^.

Welshkakes, Yep.

Dr.John said...

Perhaps England like Wisconsin has a DMI ( Department of Maximum Inconvenience ) that figures out where to place repairs so as to cause the most trouble for the most people.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Dr John, You know I never thought of that, but the evidence for your theory is overwhelmingly strong now I come to look at it ^_^

Except I figure our's must be world class.