Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Spring -Three Weeks Late!

Sean of Omnium has been posting Spring photos of his garden at Seanhenge recently and it reminded me that I had not put a single one here this year. These are not of my garden but were taken here and there. Yes, it is still quite cold some days and Spring was three weeks later than usual in this part of the world.


Someone had decided that instead of a clump of tulips all the same colour they would mix them up. There were half a dozen of these clumps in near proximity and they really appealed to me.



Vancouver is really proud of its boulevard tree program and while they are not all Kwanzan cherries Prunus serrulata, as seen here, it is one of the things that make Vancouver so beautiful in the Springtime.

In this particular street the trees grow together to form a canopy and the cars drive under and are sprinkled with pink petals. I have a Kwanzan in my garden and it covers the deck and all the other shrubs with fallen petals. They fill the gutters and it is a pain as you have to constantly sweep the deck to avoid tracking them into the house. But they are beautiful and I call if Fairyland at this time of year.

This is a modest house with a white picket fence but the Magnolia soulangia in the front garden is a very fine specimen and gives pleasure to so many who pass by.

Here is a gorgeous bright display of Taraxacum officinale, growing by the side of the road. What, you thought they were dandelions? Well you're right of course. But I think from a distance of a few feet they are as beautiful as a crowd, a host, of golden daffodils*.

FASCINATING FACTS ABOUT DANDELIONS:

- Dandelions were introduced into Canada from Europe
- in the evening the flowers close.
- young tender Dandelion leaves can be cooked or eaten raw as a salad green
- a Dandelion coffee is made from dried and ground roots; the roots can also be cooked and eaten
- dandelion wine is made from the flowers.

There, useful as well as beautiful.

* I wandered lonely as a cloud - William Wordsworth. But you knew that, didn't you?




19 comments:

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

You suddenly turn round and things are in bloom and the trees are in leaf, even the sleepy old oak is starting to wake up.

The bluebells and lilac are in flower, the daises, and yes the dandelions too; and you realise, spring is gloriously arrived.

Eurodog said...

Beautiful, jmb.
Of course Taraxacum is a very effective homeopathic remedy.

Sean Jeating said...

:)
Ah, jmb, I wouldn't have thought that my magic spell would take such long to cross the Atlantic and reach Vancouver.

After all, the long waiting's worthwhile, hm? What a pleasure for one's eyes and ... heart.
A joyous spring to you, Mylady.

CherryPie said...

From the look of those photos it looks like it was worth the wait :-)

Dr.John said...

Thanks for the garden tour.

sally in norfolk said...

I love the avenue of cherrie trees :-)

Bernie said...

You are so far ahead of us weather wise, the buds are just beginning to show here in Alberta. I really enjoyed your lovely pictures. Thank you for sharing....:-)

Liz said...

What gorgeous cherry trees, and you're right about dandelions. In fact, I think that even close up they're a lot prettier than they have credit for.

Carver said...

Wonderful post JMB. I enjoyed so much seeing your beautiful photographs of Vancouver in spring.

jmb said...

No bluebells here Miss Moggs, unfortunately but it is beautiful.

Thanks Eurodog and I believe it is widely used by some as a remedy.

Thanks for the reminder Sean, I was a bit lax this year in taking photos.

When Spring finally came, as always it was gorgeous Cherie.

You're welcome Dr John, glad you enjoyed the photos.

Thanks Sally.

I'm glad we are not last to enjoy Spring this year Bernie. I hope it comes soon for you.

Liz I always think as I reef them out, why is this a weed, it is so beautiful in flower.

Thanks Carver, the cherries were particularly good this year.

Thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting.

jams o donnell said...

It's great to see things in bloom. Sadly I mussed most of spring here thanks to the damned injury.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I love the mixed tulips and that magnolia. I'm afraid I hate Wordsworth!

Colin Campbell said...

Lovely. We are just entering winter, but many northern hemisphere spring flowers such as geraniums are starting to flower. Hope you are well.

Rositta said...

We just had he very first tulips bloom this morning, it's been a long time coming...ciao

June Saville said...

Re the tulips - I'm sure that nature was never meant to come down on the side of plants standing up to attention, all the same colours, in uniform! I'm on your side. Natural is best.
June in Oz

Janice Thomson said...

Just gorgeous photos JMB. Those sakura - so beautiful...sigh.

Donnetta Lee said...

Ooooo. Those pretty, pretty pink trees. I think a pretty spring would come to us here in Oklahoma, if it will ever stop raining! D

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

Typical that Europeans bring weeds into Canada. I've not been to Vancouver since I was three. But I am heading out to NS again this year to see the folks. Enjoy spring, the crocuses and the foreign weeds!

Keep up the great blogging x

jmb said...

Poor Jams, never mind next year.

The mixed bunches of tulips appealed to me too Welshcakes.

Colin, such a different climate you have to ours in Adelaide

We did have a long winter this year Rositta.

Thanks for coming by June.

Thanks Janice, not in your league I'm afraid.

Well no drought in your part of the world Donnetta Lee.

Yes, in every country, those early settlers have a lot to answer for as they proliferated some of the "pests" of their part of the world.

Thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting.