Thursday, September 3, 2009

JMB goes to Washington

The White House

It's several years since we spent five days in Washington, DC and I have always said that I would go back in a heartbeat. Much of those five days were spent in the museums of the Smithsonian but it was never enough. Each day we would plan our visits, this museum for the morning and this one after lunch. Each day lunch got later and later as we felt torn since we had not finished the first museum before we had to move on to the next and every day we were thrown out of our afternoon museum as they closed the doors.

So when we discovered that our friends were spending a year there we decided to visit them on our annual trip to New York. Lucky for us, they have managed to get us all onto a tour of the White House. That is the good news. The bad news is that it starts at 8.30 am and one has to be there 15 minutes earlier and they live in Arlington. That means early rising for us night owls. More bad news is that you cannot take a camera or a handbag on the tour so I'm afraid there will be no photos of this event.

Even more bad news is that we had to rent a car for a week instead of four days. It seems that many of the car rental places close on Saturday this week for the long Labour Day weekend and do not open again until Tuesday. Much more bad news is that when we went to pick up the car it was a Nissan Cube, which is no doubt the ugliest car I have ever seen in recent years. Ours is white and I imagine we will be the laughing stock of the New Jersey Turnpike.


But I really am looking forward to this trip to Washington, DC. Who knows if we will go to some of the same places we went to last time or if we will explore new ones? I do hope it is cooler this time as we had very, very hot weather last time and really appreciated all those air-conditioned buildings.

Unfortunately I will not be taking part in Photo Hunt this week as I will be offline for three or four days, so I will see you all next week. Have a great Labour Day weekend everyone.


11 comments:

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Wow JMB, I bet that will be fascinating. A mixture of history... maybe almost like a museum ^_^... and power.

I imagine maybe a bit like visiting Philadelphia and seeing where it all started in some ways.

I hope you post on it.

Carver said...

I hope you have a great time in Washington. I had to laugh at that car. It is funny looking.

jams o donnell said...

Have a great time jmb!

Colin Campbell said...

I lived in DC and the suburbs for many years. After some initial visits, I rarely went to the museums and have never been around the White House. Of course in those days, you could get pretty close.

Have a nice time.

Janice Thomson said...

I love that I get to see the world vicariously through your eyes JMB. Have great fun!

Berni said...

Interesting visit for you. I have never seen a car like that. Hope you have a great time.

YTSL said...

Enjoy DC, JMB. Will miss checking your Photo Hunt entry this week but I'll live! ;b

lady macleod said...

Well, we know your trip will be more interesting than mine! All Angus and I saw was the inside of the hotel room and the airport.

Have fun! I look forward to your report of your adventures.

jmb said...

Moggs I did go to Philadelphia some years ago and it was really interesting.

Thanks Carver. The odd car did get us there and back thank goodness.

Thanks Jams and we did.

We did Colin. Isn't funny how one does not appreciate nearby things?

Thanks Janice. We did enjoy our quick visit.

Berni, it is the oddest car and I would never buy one.

Thanks YTSL. I know I hated to miss but was offline too long.

I am sure you had an interesting trip Lady Mac. After all you always have adventures.

Thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting

Liz said...

It's quite a cute car really!

Blogger said...

With Car Rental 8 you can get the cheapest car hires from over 50000 international locations.