Sunday, October 25, 2009

Of prisons and ballet

One thing about Second Life is there are more girls than boys, or at least in the parts I hang out in. I guess they are all in the combat sims or Gor. So anyway my experience of SL is there are more girls than boys.

I found myself in a Real Life situation with a very similar balance the other day.

I am not being high brow when I ask you to think of ballet.

The dictionary defines it as:

Ballet
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Italian balletto, diminutive of ballo dance, from ballare
Date: 1634
A theatrical art form using dancing, music, and scenery to convey a story, theme, or atmosphere b: dancing in which conventional poses and steps are combined with light flowing figures (as leaps and turns)

Now a second definition... and I think you might get an idea of where I am going here...

Spandau
Function: noun
a district of Berlin, in E Germany: site of prison for Nazi war criminals.

Put them together and you get something else entirely... Spandau Ballet. A new romantic band.

Handsome Tony Hadley the lead singer.
Gary Kemp, of movie fame on guitar and doing backing vocals.
Lovely Martin Kemp also of movie and tv fame on bass guitar.
Sexy Steve Norman on sax, guitar and percussion.
John Keeble on drums and backing vocals.

The other evening found me at the O2 Arena among thronging crowds, a significant proportion of whom were female which kind of brings us back to where I started ^_^.

Not all of 'a certain age' either, clearly there were daughters amongst the good natured and cheerful crowds too.

The Dome kind or reminds me of a Vegas hotel, with all the fake buildings inside it, except practically all of them seem to be restaurants, it just needs a fake sky. Or maybe it doesn't cos it feels more like being out at night when it is dark. Not that perpetual twilight you get in Vegas.

Anyway... We had a meal and found our way to our seats. We had good seats. The atmosphere was expectant and charged with whatever the opposite of testosterone is. Estrogen?

When the band came on it turned out to be well worth the wait. They are so very good at doing live.

Brilliant in fact. As good as their recorded tracks... better maybe, more alive.

As for Tony Hadley his voice is just as wonderful as ever, and so very powerful.

Steve Norman was awesome on the saxophone. He made it sound like it was alive, sends shivers up your spine.

They gave us what we wanted. The old favorites we sang loudly along with and some new tracks they have done. The new album is "Once More".

The boys? Well they are men now, and to my mind improved for it. They still have 'it'. But they have maturity too. I don't think it is the perspective of maturity like I said, there were quite a few late teens early 20s there.

There were some girls, young women, behind us. They screamed so hard I worried they would wet themselves, or it might damage my ears. I wonder if they could even speak afterwards. People were on their feet dancing. Applause was deafening. I made myself hoarse singing.

Did I enjoy it? Yes, Duh! Sooo of course. What did they finish with? Gold of course.

5 comments:

Ellee Seymour said...

You learn something new every day. I would like you to take me on a tour of Second Life one day if we meet, maybe I will become a convert too.

jmb said...

Musical education for me once again Miss Moggs. I did download an album of theirs from iTunes but they did not have Gold. I found it on youtube however.

It sounds as if you really enjoyed yourself, you Groupie you!

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Ellee, I am sure either or both JMB and I would be glad to get you outfitted and show you around.

JMB, Me(said innocently)a groupie? It was really good, I did enjoy myself. I figure most everyone there did too.

Try downloading "GOLD The Best of Spandau Ballet". It has some of my favourites "Gold", "True" and "Through the barricades".

Amazon have it for $11.47

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Best-Spandau-Ballet/dp/B00004UFTT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1256541586&sr=8-1

James Higham said...

More girls than boys? I'm in the wrong place.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Welcome James, thank you for your comment.

Does that mean you are planning to go see Spandau Ballet, or visit SL? ^_^