Friday, October 9, 2009

Saturday Photo Hunt --- Sports





SPORTS


I was absolutely stumped for this week's theme but an idea popped into my head as I frantically searched my archives. If you have peeked below at the photo I am sure you are scratching your head. What on earth does that rural scene have to do with sports? Why it is connected to the most celebrated sport of all, the Sport of Kings.



Yes, my brother in law breeds thoroughbred racehorses in Australia and this mother has done her time at the track and is now a breeding mare. The young foal is a potential superstar of the track! Well my BIL can always dream that this horse will someday be the winner of the Melbourne Cup.


They do have very fancy names under which they are registered but they also have very ordinary names as well, like Blaze and Nipper. Yes the latter for a very good reason! Personally I think this hobby, which he acquired after he took early retirement, is simply a sinkhole into which you pour money. But it has brought him great pleasure over the years and he still dreams of having a big winner one day.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE



20 comments:

Photo Cache said...

Oh this totally clears the theme, horseracing and equestrian.

Some themes do get us thinking and frantically searching our archives, right.

Happy weekend.

Sometimes Saintly Nick said...

I did not question the theme of the photos at all! I live in Kentucky where thoroughbreds rule!

Pat said...

A little stretch but great post for the theme!! :-)

Happy Weekend.

jams o donnell said...

Those are real beauties jmb. I do get the feeling is that the only wat to make a small fortune out of the horses is to start with a large one!

Colin Campbell said...

Just about time for the Day the Stops the Nation. Have a nice weekend.

Carver said...

What a great idea for the theme and beautiful shots of the horses. Happy weekend.

CRIZ LAI said...

Whoa... that was so cute.Hooray to the potential winner of the future. :)

http://crizcats.blogspot.com/

YTSL said...

Wow... I actually was thinking of putting up a horse racing photo or two but eventually decided to opt for something else. Hope you won't be disappointed when you visit my entry, jmb! ;b

TeacherJulie said...

Those thoroughbreds look good!

My PH:
http://teacherjulie.com/2009/10/10/bike-wheelie/

Bonggamom said...

That's a nice, unique sport to feature!

Life Ramblings said...

those are beautiful horses and interesting take on the them.

SASSY MOM said...

Great take for this week's theme. happy weekend!

My entry is here

Janice Thomson said...

An excellent take on the theme JMB!
Years and years ago I went to the races once and won on a gray thoroughbred - everyone laughed at the time but they weren't laughing when the race finished!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

That looks like a winner to me!

Expat Traveler said...

That's a great thought for the theme!

:) great shots!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Clever idea and beautiful horses.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

That works well enough for the theme.

Ellee Seymour said...

Well the Sport of Kings originated from Newmarket in honour of King Charles 11 who stayed in the town and took up this sport. I am lucky enough to live close by and have had some great times there with my family, but always leave the poorer. I even had a share in a racehorse at one time.

mutleythedog said...

I love horses and horse racing in particular and betting just after that... what a neat idea!

Liz said...

She has a lovely face. You must keep us informed as to the youngster's progress!