Friday, October 23, 2009

Saturday Photo Hunt --- Tied





TIED


You know how suddenly a light bulb goes on in your head and you say of course, that is so obvious. Why did I not think of that before? Such a moment occurred for me with this theme and I did not even have the Eureka moment when looking through the archives. This time I knew exactly where to go.


I'm sure you all remember macramé, the art of making fabric by tying knots and along with many others I practised this craft in the seventies. I can't believe I actually had the patience or the interest to make those ridiculous plant hangers and necklaces and belts. Of course I made the ubiquitous owl hanging from a stick which adorned my son's bedroom for years although he did balk at taking it with him when he left.

All these items are long gone except this one which is still in my living room. I covered the bottle totally with macramé, including the bottom, and I am unable to discard this as a reminder of those days. Besides it is not too unattractive, is it? Maybe in another few years it will become a collector's piece, or not, she says laughingly. Click for a very detailed view, possibly ever so slightly out of focus?

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE


21 comments:

Photo Cache said...

that is gorgeous and pretty crafty. i remember doing something like this handycraft of plant pot hangers.

i love this image.

Carver said...

What a great idea for the theme. I also did macrame in the 70s although I don't have any of them left. I think I mostly made macrame belts and my 70s belts would be a better fit for my 2009 thigh than waist, ugggg. Happy weekend.

Mar said...

What a wonderful idea for the theme!! I did macrame too, wonder where those pieces are...
Happy PH and happy weekend, my entry is here.

Liz said...

Oh, it's so intricate! What patience you had. I never managed more than - well, a bit of string!

Randi said...

Super idea! A great take on the theme.
I learned macrame when I was young - unfortunately I have forgotten it now...
Happy weekend.

CRIZ LAI said...

Haha.. great one JMB. I can still remember those days when my aunt was into that hobby. Almost everything in the house was knitted with it.. LOL! :P

http://crizcats.blogspot.com/

candi said...

Cool take on the theme, and I don't think it looks bad at all, I think it is kind of cute.

Happy weekend!

CherryPie said...

Ah that has brought back a few memories. A great take on the theme :-)

YTSL said...

Aaaah macraming! It actually was a craft I enjoyed learning and doing at school!!! (Much more so than sewing -- ugh, ugh! Though, of course, now I wish I had been become better with needle and thread!)

Expat Traveler said...

wow... now that is cool and creative!

Berni said...

I did all that too. Actually macrame is back in style in jewelery fashions.

SASSY MOM said...

I envy your talent! It's so creative.

Mine's up too.. As we tied the knot

luna miranda said...

macrame is back! i even bought a macrame bag a few weeks ago.:p

my favorite macrame is a hammock, by the beach.:p

EastCoastLife said...

I tried macrame too when I was in my teens. But I didn't have your patience. :P

That is a pretty art piece you have there. Wish I had persevered.

jams o donnell said...

Nice one jmb! Definitely recherche du temps perdus! Happy weekend

archiearchive said...

How wonderful. I wonder when macrame will make a come-back :)

TeacherJulie said...

Wow, crafty thing to do and it looks nice too!

have a great weekend!

PowersTwinB said...

Hi sweetie...alas, this was a craft not meant to be for me...I never could do the knots! But! This is the first time I have ever seen a bottle sleeve made of macrem...I think this is perfect for this weeks challenge!! Thanks so very much for visiting my hunt this week!! sending you love and hugs

James Higham said...

I love those crocheted bottles.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Like those embroidery pieces done by young ladies in the 18th and 19th centuries. They are collectors pieces and fetch a reasonable price now.

Who knows, if your macramé bottle cover survives a century or two it might be worth a billion dollars, probably enough to buy the latests tech gadget, or pay for a family meal out.

lady macleod said...

Very retro - nice.