Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Second Life meets Real Life


Superheroes JMB (on the left) and Zaz in Action

Today, for the second time, I am about to meet in Real Life someone who has become a friend in Second Life, albeit this is a different SL friend from the one I had lunch with on a previous occasion.

Anyone who is reading this understands how one can become very connected to virtual strangers, even become online friends with them, through blogging. Somehow that seems even easier in Second Life, with the back and forth of instant messaging and the exchange of ideas and sometimes even more personal observations and conversations. I have met a few bloggers in person on previous occasions and funnily enough when Lady Mac came here to the Surrey International Writers' Conference where she and I met, Zaz, my SL friend, was also in attendance, unbeknownst to me.

I did not know her at that time but she has been a fairly regular participant at the SIWC in recent years and this year I will pick her up at the airport and take her to the conference hotel and later we will meet another SL friend for dinner.

This past weekend JMB the fairy met up with Zaz the vampire over a glass of wine to discuss the arrangements. Of course we will be more conventionally dressed when we meet up in Real Life.

However Second Life is a place where you can live out your fantasies if you wish. Both of us are pretty pragmatic people I think, not into role play, although we do take the opportunity to dress the part on occasion as you can see above. We both acquired this Superhero freebie outfit and got together for a photo opportunity, Superheroes in Action. I suppose it does lose some of its punch due to our Fairy entourage but then this is Second Life where anything is possible and "saving the world" accompanied by these cuties is a fairly ordinary concept compared to some. Click to enlarge either photo and get the full punch.

I'll let you know how it goes later.


4 comments:

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Way to go JMB. It must be interesting and exciting actually getting to move a friendship out of sl into rl.

Careful you don't get bitten on ^_^

Liz said...

I hope it went well.

Berni said...

Fun. I have met a couple of blogging friends which was nice. If I ever get on a fast enough network I will have to try SL I think I would like it

lady macleod said...

I love it!!!!!!!! And I'm quite jealous, it's enough for me to check to see if it's not too late for me to make the convention - albeit I know it is. I couldn't fit in Paris and Vancouver - Paris won. I think you know why!

Have fun!