Thursday, October 15, 2009

Why the trouble?

Another possibly hard hat post. I really must get a hard hat...

I noticed the Irish electorate, I guess feeling less confident in themselves, what with the recession and all, have voted for the EU Lisbon treaty.

The treaty is basically to introduce what amounts to a constitution and nationhood to the EU, complete with unelected president, etc. and unelected Senators (commissioners).

The Irish voted against it all in better times (was it only last year?), but that answer was not good enough, so they were told to vote again ... and to get it right this time.

I must admit I was sort of proud when they said "No" before.

Now I am thinking to myself. Well... Maybe if the Irish had thought like that back a hundred years ago... then I guess they would have been happy being part of the British Empire. There would have been no cause to want independence, it would have been scary. No need for the Easter uprising, the IRA, the troubles...

All those deaths over all those years.

Maybe I would have grown up in Dublin, or more like never have existed.

In those days the British Empire was a pretty powerful trading block.

A definite case where you could argue “We’re Better Together”. You could have easily argued that Ireland would have been economically stronger as part of such a huge trading block too, with the added bonus of having actual democratically accountable representatives in its parliament and maybe a chance of home rule to come into the bargain .

The arguments in favour didn't wash back then. I guess that was then and this is now. Independence is too scary now, apron strings more secure.

2 comments:

jmb said...

It is indeed an extraordinary thing to have this referendum again so soon and it makes a mockery of the whole process.

I wonder what would have happened if there had been another no vote. How about another one? Third time lucky?

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

At least you commented JMB...