Sunday, November 8, 2009

Happy Birthday to me!

Yes, another year older. Today is my 74th birthday and I am not sure what I should write about this year. Two years ago I talked about life expectancy which was pertinent to the OS at that time and last year I looked back on my fortunate life.

Perhaps this year I should just be grateful that I am still here enjoying life and in good health. Others have not been so fortunate amongst my relatives and friends.

But I think one of the things I am most grateful for is that I still have a lively curiosity about everything. I am still learning new things every day. Yes maybe I do spend too many hours in front of the computer, hopping from link to link in the vast store of knowledge which comprises the internet. Or doing what most of my friends think is even worse, dallying in Second Life which is a guilty pleasure.

Well if you are looking for the fountain of youth that certainly is one place where you can find it and I tool around in the body of a very beautiful 35 year old interacting with others who judge me by what I say and not by my appearance since we are all beautiful there, with some exceptions.

But I am never bored and how many can say that? There is always a good book to read, actually too many of them, both in my house making me feel guilty and in the library which I visit often. There are interesting blogs to visit, things to look up and research just for fun. Yes, that is fun for me. What can I say?

The other day I had dinner with a friend who is fifteen years younger and has recently taken early retirement. She goes swimming at a local seniors' centre but she does not interact much with them because she says they "seem so old". No doubt my age, maybe younger! No, I said to her, they are just dull.

Which brings me to my friends and for them I am extremely grateful. I am very thankful to say there is not a dull one amongst the lot of them. Not long ago, one of them who is in her late eighties came out with a story about when she worked in the lab at Berkley University with the scientist who had discovered Vitamin E. Of course no one knew how it functioned then and even now it comes and goes in favour as good for this or that and then later is cast aside as research moves relentlessly along.

Any one of my friends can come out with something which will perk your interest, even after knowing some of them for a very long time. If the truth be told I might be considered the dull one!

So Happy Birthday to me, who is not that confident 35 year old of long ago in body but, hopefully, still in the mind.




Once again - it's become a tradition - let me repeat the very pertinent last five lines of a poem written by Janice Thompson of Drinking the Moon called When did I grow old?

Now the hair on my head has gone whiter;

the wrinkles on the face deeper and wider.

Now the seasons pass by so quickly

the taste of death is in the air...

When did I begin to grow old?


12 comments:

Ellee Seymour said...

Many happy returns JMB. I know if we lived closer, we would meet up and celebrate in style by visiting a great gallery and having a lovely lunch followed by a long countryside walk. Have a great day.

Dragonstar said...

Happy birthday, and make it a good one!

CherryPie said...

Happy Birthday, I hope you have a great day :-)

Liz said...

Happy birthday, Joan! Have a wonderful day! xx

Chris said...

Happy birthday, JMB, you have put into words a lot of the stuff that is in my head!

Sean Jeating said...

[Raising his glass]
Happy Birthday, jmb!
May - freely adapted from Hermann Hesse - today's beginning (of a new year) bear a special magic that nurtures living and bestows protection.

sally in norfolk said...

Happy birthday , enjoy your day x

Carver said...

Happy Birthday to you! Great post and may you have many many more years filled with your continued interest held and engaged. Cheers, Carver

Berni said...

Happy Birthday. Sounds to me you are getting younger not older despite the chronological age. Keeping a lively curiosity is one of the recommendations for keeping aging at bay.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

You have to keep reminding me of your age or I just forget ^_^

jmb said...

Thanks so much to everyone for the birthday wishes.
It was a good one, new camera. What can I say? Spoilt as I am.

CherryPie said...

What a lovely present :-) Which camera did you get?