Friday, December 4, 2009

Saturday Photo Hunt --- Curved








CURVED

This is a late afternoon photo of the very curved Coronado Bridge which spans the San Diego harbour to Coronado.


The 11,179-foot-long (3,407 m or 2.1 mi) bridge ascends from Coronado at a 4.67 percent grade before curving 80 degrees toward San Diego. The span reaches a maximum height of 200 feet (61m), allowing the US Navy ships which operate out of the nearby US Naval Station to pass underneath it. The five-lane bridge featured the longest box girder in the world until it was surpassed by a bridge in China in 2008.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE


12 comments:

Randi said...

Wow...I have never seen a bridge like this! I enlarged the photo and it looks like a "merry-go-round"...
I wish you a great weekend!

Carver said...

That bridge is amazing. It doesn't get more curved than that. Happy Weekend!

candi said...

Beautiful shot!

Happy weekend!

CherryPie said...

I love the sunlight on the water. Hope you have a great weekend.

Pat said...

Great curved shot!!

Happy Weekend.

YTSL said...

California, not Canada? That's an unexpected *curve*-ball, jmb! ;b

luna miranda said...

wonderful curve...great shot.

Photo Cache said...

Excellent choice for this week. Have a fantastic weekend.

Mudhooks said...

Bridges scare me.... Not as much as they did when I was a teen until a few years ago but still get a knot in my stomach.

A bridge here collapsed during construction and killed a number of workers. I took me years to be able to go over the replacement for it without nearly being sick.

http://mudpuddle.wordpress.com/2009/12/05/photohunter-curved-curves/

archiearchive said...

Spectacular. Although I don't think I could drive over it - I'm too scared of heights!

Mar said...

That's a fantastic bridge and perspective, great shot for the theme!!

Hootin' Anni said...

I knew this bridge right away....been across it many times going from the hotel to Cabrillo

My curved stuff is here --- CLICK