Friday, January 1, 2010

Christmas Music Charts

I guess if you read some of my posts... Hi Mom... you will know I like pop music.

Probably no one who hasn't lived in the UK at some time will really have all that much awareness of this, but getting UK the Christmas #1 song is quite a big thing. It makes the news.

For the last few years the TV Pop talent show winners have had the Christmas #1 pretty much sewn up. They are screened perfectly for the winner to have a hit on the publicity the show generates at Christmas.

The winner of the X-Factor show Joe McEdlerry released a cover of Miley Cirus' “The Climb”. It looked like it would be that way this year too...

...until Jon Morter from the County of Essex started a Facebook campaign called “Rage Against the Machine for Christmas No 1” to get Rage Against the Machine's “Killing in the name” to #1 instead of the X-Factor song.

It is a 'least likely to be Christmas #1' type song with the lyric "F#[& you, I won't do what you tell me."

Rage Against the Machine added their support to the campaign by promising to donate their royalties from the song to go to support the homeless. They also promised to do a 'thank you' gig in the UK next year, if the campaign was successful.

It worked too! I have to confess even I downloaded it and I really don't like it much at all. And I quite like Miley Cirus' version of “The Climb”.

Probably the publicity gained extra sales for both tracks and it will make the lives of homeless people a little better.

When Jon Morter was told the campaign worked after an exclamation he said "I think it just shows that in this day and age, if you want to say something, then you can – with the help of the internet and social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter. If enough people are with you, you can beat the status quo."

My personal Christmas chart?

Replay by Iyaz
All this time (Pick-me-up song) by Maria Mena
This is the Life by Amy McDonald
No other one Tao Cruz
Bad Romance by Lady Gaga
Untouchable by Taylor Swift
Shark in the water by VV Brown
Summer Wine by VitoValo & Natalia Avelon
Undeniable by Katelyn Tarver

6 comments:

James Higham said...

You like Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga? Interesting. :)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I am familiar with the Christmas #1 hysteria in UK and how some radio DJs are also very influential in recommending the song to become #1 so I am supportive of this campaign and am glad it was successful (with the extra joy for the homeless as well). I remain amazed at how hip your music tastes are. By comparison, I am a musical dinosaur.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

James/LGS, Wow! *blushes* Me hip. Why thank you.

I do like lots of different stuff that is true.

My bet would be for 'Replay' or 'No other one' to hit the charts sometime in the next month or three.

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

PS. Maybe I should upgrade my prediction for 'Replay'.

It seems like only the other month it was not available for i-player download in the UK, today I heard it on London's Capital Radio. That is pretty mainstream in the UK when it gets on one of their play lists.

Eurodog said...

Happy New Year, jmb. We had a lot of snow before Xmas and it made me think of your pictures of your Xmas last year.

jmb said...

Hey Miss Moggs, More good music for me to follow up on.

In comparison to me you are very hip and also my children, as feeling a bit philistinish I asked them did they know these selections or artists. Mostly no was the answer. :)