Friday, August 27, 2010

Saturday Photo Hunt --- Framed








FRAMED

Today when I was out and about I took snapped a few photos of a lovely carved wooden bench outside a bookstore. Banyen Books and Sound is a survivor from the Seventies in what was once a hippy part of Vancouver and in some ways still retains that flavour. Its loyal customers have kept it in business for 40 years and it describes itself as focusing on Spiritual Traditions, Healing Arts and Earth Wisdom.

Ah, doesn't that take you back? But still all very relevant today as the very large bookstore carries a huge selection of books, music, DVDs, audio teachings, etc.

Well framed you ask. Would frames be OK instead? Specifically the frames of the harps played by the carved musicians, one of whom is distinctly surly looking. Click to enlarge for a better view.

I wonder if anyone ever sits on the bench or would it be a desecration?

Surly or cynical? What do you think?

This one looks more resigned to her fate but still not happy

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE

21 comments:

ewok1993 said...

how fanciful! love it.

Annie said...

The expressions on their faces are funny. I love that bench, and I know I'd love that bookstore too. Makes me happy that a place like that can survive for 40 years!

Thanks for visiting mine and have a great weekend.

jams o donnell said...

That is such a glorious bench. I love it!

Carver said...

I love the bench. The expressions on their faces are great. I like the fact that they don't have vapid calm looks but instead seem to have some fire in them. Happy Weekend.

Janice Thomson said...

Delightful bench quite detailed artwork - love it. Great choice JMB.

YTSL said...

Aren't hippys "New Age" these days? ;b

EastCoastLife said...

Beautiful bench but I don't like the sour faces. :)

Happy weekend jmb! It's good to be back!

Colin Campbell said...

Lovely. Hope you are well.

CRIZ LAI said...

That is one great piece of design. Love it! :)

http://crizcats.blogspot.com/

archiearchive said...

What a great and original entry this week. I love the facial details.

Life Ramblings said...

that's such a beautiful bench and i love all the details.

ipanema said...

wow. lovely bench. yeah too pretty to be sat on. nice find jmb.

happy weekend! :)

TeacherJulie said...

What a nice bench, I would probably sit on it but won't lean on either of the two women on the back rest :D

My PH:
http://teacherjulie.com/2010/08/28/framed/

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Very clever, jmb. I'd love to sit on the bench!

imaginationlane said...

I love this bench, too! What a wonderful choice of picture for Photohunt...

I'm delighted to meet another Vancouverite...well, I'm out in Surrey...and have signed up to follow!

I'll come back and visit soon...

Lynette

sammawow said...

I love their expressions! I would sit on the bench! Great take on the "framed" theme!

CherryPie said...

What a lovely bench, very nice artwork.

alisonwonderland said...

Fun photos - and nice interpretation of the theme!

Happy photo hunting!

Ian Lidster said...

Thanks for the revisit to that bench.

Sometimes Saintly Nick said...

Wow! Those are quite good.

Liz said...

Another work of art!