Friday, June 17, 2011

Saturday Photo Hunt --- Informative





INFORMATIVE


A signpost in Skagway, Alaska, informing you of which direction to take to various places. Of course it neglects to tell you that to some there are no roads or the distances, which can be considerable. Some are accessed directly on the White Pass and Yukon Railroad.

Skagway, gateway to the Klondike but everywhere practically:

Whitehorse and Carcross in the Yukon Territory - 114 and 65 miles repectively
Atlin in BC - 161 miles
Nome Alaska, the finish of the Iditarod Sled Dog Race - 1643 miles
Fairbanks Alaska - 546 miles
this way for the Chilkoot Pass - 33 miles and straight up
or that way for Whitepass - 15 miles and straight up.


HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE


13 comments:

Sue St Clair said...

Love your choice of pic and this is a very informative post!

jams o donnell said...

Excellent take on the theme even if the sign taunts a bit given that you can't get to some of those places!

Carver said...

That's a good one for the theme JMB. You mentioning the obstacles to get to some of the places reminds me of my daughter sending me a map program online where it will tell you how far it is to places that involve swimming across large oceans. It will say something like drive to x point then swim for 800 miles, etc.

YTSL said...

Hi jmb --

Snap! I have a similar multi-direction sign post up on my blog -- and I think you'll approve of it more because it does contain distance information. :)

archiearchive said...

I love those direction signs. great choice.

TeacherJulie said...

For those who are directionally challenge, that would seem like a daunting task to understand :D

Happy weekend!

My PH:
http://pixiepixels.info/2011/06/18/shiatsu-and-oil-massage/

http://homeschooling.teacherjulie.com/2011/06/18/dauis-church-marker/

Life Ramblings said...

very cool informative signpost.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I'd still need a map :-)

Liza said...

Great capture. I love the signs.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Liz @ MLC

Colin Campbell said...

I have only been to Fairbanks on that list. Drove from Anchorage and back to visit my sister in law who was a student there. Nice drive.

CherryPie said...

Very informative.

I hope you have had a great weekend :-)

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

It reminds me a bit of the signpost at Land's End in the UK.

That has place names and distances, some to quite distant places.^_^

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Haha! That certainly is informative! How are you, jmb? xx