Wednesday, August 3, 2011

An Earth Girl's Rough Guide to Gor

Falling for Petra

A change of pace... in case you were getting a bit punch drunk with all the skirmishes and chases.

I am becoming quite amazed by sl Gor the more I find out about it. Gor is a whole virtual counter world.

Well at least the known map is a huge continent that spans from inside Gor's verion of the arctic circle to the tropics past the equator. You saw the map.

Imagine it covering everything from Greenland to beyond the Sahara and from Cape St Vincent in Portugal to maybe at least the Urals? That looks like a single continent. Are ther others as yet undiscovered?

I have also mentioned how beautiful some of it is. The forest I live in and our caves you have seen pictures of. Well I am finding that is not just true of our little corner of Gor. The work and creativity and sheer detail and even artistry of the sl users who have created it all, every last blade of grass and brick is wonderful when you stop to think about it.

Now Panthers sometimes travel in disguise to spy and buy goods. They quietly slip into towns and cities disguised as Karjia, or Free (free women).

I wasn't quite ready to rp being a spy, but I was curious, especially when a friend mentioned some interesting places.

So I disguised myself and slipped off to explore at a quiet time of day ...and being cluck-cluck chicken I also collected an official observer's tag to wear, just in case. I didn't want to come unstuck half a continent away from help armed only with a dagger ticked into my gladiator sandals.

Far to the south and east, by the ocean, is the port city of Petra... Someone told me it was beautiful. I went to look.





Petra (πέτρα) is Greek for rock, as in petrified... turned to stone.

In rl on Earth it was "a rose-red city half as old as time" strategically placed in the desert in what is now modern Jordan where it grew wealthy on the caravan trade. Spices and Myrrh passing through...

So it was that early one morning (local time) suitably veiled and metered I stepped off a ship and down the narrow gangplank onto the docks of Petra.

The sun was casting a pink glow on the cream stones of the city. The sky was a perfect Mediterranean blue the waves were gently cresting and foaming out beyond the breakwater and lighthouse. Brightly coloured birds were wheeling in the sky.





I turned left walking along towards what I took to be harbour docks and warehouses. It reminded me strongly of old Mediterranean towns with a hint of the east. It was beautiful as it opened up before me.

There is a place to traders to deal there, but it was deserted as I walked on past. In fact there did not appear to be a sole about I had the city to myself.





I explored until I came to what I think must have been the library. It was like the rest of the place wonderful. I explored and looked in on the library, but I am not in the group so could not access any materials.

Eventually I came out on a high roof terrace where a giant chess set was laid out ready. Standing facing it looking on was a tall handsome, solidly built guy, frozen, as if by magic (he was away, but yes there is some magic in Gor).





It only seemed to add to the magic and beauty of the place that the only obvious inhabitant, possibly the ruler of the city seemed frozen in place, as if by some powerful spell. I sat on one or the benches placed nearby, I guess for people to watch the game and just enjoyed the place and the atmosphere for a moment to two.


~~~<>~~~

It seems no work of Man's creative hand,
by labour wrought as wavering fancy planned;

But from the rock as if by magic grown,
eternal, silent, beautiful, alone!

Not virgin-white like that old Doric shrine,
where erst Athena held her rites divine;

Not saintly-grey, like many a minster fane,
that crowns the hill and consecrates the plain;

But rose-red as if the blush of dawn,
that first beheld them were not yet withdrawn;

The hues of youth upon a brow of woe,
which Man deemed old two thousand years ago,

match me such marvel save in Eastern clime,
a rose-red city half as old as time.

2 comments:

jmb said...

So it's not all shooting bows and arrows in Gor Miss Moggs?

I'm still not tempted. Veiled? No thanks.

Moggsy said...

No there are swords and spears and knives and fists and axes and... did I mention swords?

But there are also stores and banks and libraries and taverns and other stuff.

Some of the outfits are awsome.